one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
fishingOk the tease is on.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It certainly is!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just made some too, for the first time (dry-brined, cold-smoked, dry-aged):

I will never, ever buy bacon from the store again!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
looks and I can even smell it. I want to try that next. I am going to pick up an attachment for the cold smoke part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
I just made some too, for the first time (dry-brined, cold-smoked, dry-aged):

I will never, ever buy bacon from the store again!

Dammit man! That looks out of this world!

Do you do care packages for old buddies in Texas? Wink

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Care to share your brining and seasoning recipe.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Dall85. this is a 10 day process. 7 days in the wet brine and 3 days to air cure. and about 3 to 4 hours in a hot smoker 180 to 200* when the internal temp reaches 150* its done and ready to cook..
even parts water and kosher salt. 1 gallon of water to 1 cup of salt. The ingredients can be adjusted per pound.
15 pound of pork belly, not sliced
3 cups Morton's kosher salt
2 teaspoon Prague powder #1 (pink salt) or one cup Morton's tender quick (only used a 1/2 teaspoon of pink salt)
1/2 cup coarse ground black pepper
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup white cane sugar
I keep mine in a fridge in the garage set at 36* to 40*
turn the pork once a day
after 7 day cure wash the bacon pretty good in cold water
place on a rack or hang and dry for 3 days. It should get a little stick on the surface.
Make sure it is dry or it may not take the smoke.
I put a fan on mine for about 8 hours to help it dry.
I keep mine in the fridge for the whole process.
When I started the drying process I rubbed one piece with coarse black pepper and let it dry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hivelosity,

Many thanks. Tomorrow I will make summer sausage, breakfast sausage, Polish sausage and jerky. Will do some bacon next. Thanks again.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tas did you do a right up on the pork belly?

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Jz -

I took a lot of notes and photo but haven't gotten them very organised, yet. I'll try to get that done this week, and will make a new post. tu2

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Looks really tasty! I made wild boar bacon using Mortons' Quick cure, with cracked black pepper rubbed on, and hot smoked for three hours. Reminded me of my Lithuanian grandma's bacon. Except for the 3" hole where my 45-100 hit!She knew I loved her bacon, so she mailed me a piece to me in college! Lady at the post office raised her eyebrows at the baling twine, grease stained package wrapped in a recycled Grand Union bag. Delicious! God bless, Nana!

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou I look forward to it.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Headspace, I like your story. Priceless
did you use the recipe for the Q cure .

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Dall, If you want a great breakfast sausage seasoning Try
Witt's no.102 southern pork sausage seasoning.
F.W. Witt's
1106 S.Bridge St.
Yorkville, Ill.60650
I like mine with about an extra tablespoon of red pepper added.

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
As I remember, I used the cure as a dry rub, let cure for 4 days, then rinsed it, then rubbed cracked black pepper on and let it sit in the fridge for another 2 day, then smoked using hickory bark strips in the electric smoker. One really meaty end, I turned into pastrami, by coating it with cracked coriander, black pepper, and garlic powder, and steaming it for 2 hours(non Kosher)!

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hivelosity, many thanks I will give it a try.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
After this thread and after eating some barbecued pork belly at Killen's, I thought I'd check into it.

I can buy pork bellies from a butcher friend at his cost of $1.90/lb BUT I have to buy a case, which is, more or less, 100 pounds. I'm thinking on it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
tu2 that would only be 8 or 9 slabs hilbily

one of us
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: I haven't tried this, it was on a Yahoo list, "Best Recipes You Need to Know How to Make" and it looks good and seems fairly easy (which is a big deal to me) is relevant so here it is:

quote:
PORK BELLY CARNITAS

Serves 4

2 cups apple or pineapple juice

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 1/2 tablespoons cumin

4 bay leaves

2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves

2 1/2 pounds pork belly, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

1 tablespoon salt (reduce or omit if using stock with salt in it)

2 cups unsalted chicken or pork stock

1. In a container or large freezer bag, combine the apple or pineapple juice, garlic powder, cinnamon, cumin, bay leaves, and oregano. Add the pork belly and refrigerate while it marinates for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.

2. Remove the pork belly from the fridge an hour before cooking. Preheat the oven to 350° F.

3. Tip the marinade into a large Dutch oven and spread the pork belly pieces in a single layer in the pan. Pour over your stock. Add salt if you're using unsalted stock. Cook for 2 hours with a lid on.

4. After 2 hours, remove the lid and cook the pork belly for another hour. This will cook off the remaining liquid and finish rendering the pork fat.

5. Remove the pork belly from the oven.

6. Transfer the pork pieces to a large, flat-bottomed skillet. Spoon off as much of the fat as you can from the Dutch oven and add it to the skillet with the pork belly pieces. Avoid any solids from the bottom of the pan, as these will burn!

8. Over medium heat, continue to cook the pork belly in its own rendered fat. The pan should be bubbling but not spitting. Flip the pork belly pieces so that they brown evenly on all sides. This should take about 30 minutes.
When all sides are brown and a little crispy, remove the pork belly from the pan and drain on some paper towels.
Shred the meat with two forks and enjoy!

PS: Lime, tortillas, and some hot sauce to taste wouldn't hurt the finished product.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, just put the pork belly in the marinade. The wait begins.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How was it?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I forgot about this. Good but I need to try again. I think I had two problems. One was the marinade was to large of a vol for the meat. I think it could have been doubled to 5 pounds. Second not lean enough so by the time it was done it was a snack for my daugther and I. Worth trying again in my opinion.