Find
Notify
Tools

Trapist Beer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I bought a Trapist beer the other day, allegedly made by monks. $15 per bottle, small bottle.

Good beer, lots of hoppy goodness, kind of a huge dissapointment for $15.

This particular brand was supposed to be the worlds best beer.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At $15 a bottle, it can't be good enough AFAIC.

Like the people who drink various whiskey's, Scotch or otherwise that cost hundreds of dollars a bottle or more, not for me. My Scottish ancestors would haunt me and, I've had some very expensive wines (bought by others) and, while they were really good, they were not THAT good.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inside the U.S. that bottle is worth $45-60...

The best beer in the world is brewed right here.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin,

What would that be?

I am partial to Alaskan Stout, Guiness, Boddington's, and some of the wheat beers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foolosh is, foolish does. Buy Modelo especial and pocket the excess you budgeted for beer.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:
Foolosh is, foolish does. Buy Modelo especial and pocket the excess you budgeted for beer.

Not to argue tastes, but there are dozens, if not hundreds of commonly available brews that taste better than Modelo Especial to me. Yuengling is available in Alabama, and is better by far, not to mention being American made.

However, let me hasten to add that if Modelo Especial is your choice, it suits the hell out of me.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a ton. Just a short list: treehouse, Russian river, trillium, Alchemist, three floyds, bissel brothers, Lawson's finest liquids. I could go on forever but these are small, highly in demand breweries that are hard to get, unless you near very near them. Getting to drink westy in Europe is a lot better than it being shipped/smuggled over here.

My favorite international beer is made by cantillon in Brussels.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/new/ Good approximation of the top 250 beers in the world.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
There are a ton. Just a short list: treehouse, Russian river, trillium, Alchemist, three floyds, bissel brothers, Lawson's finest liquids. I could go on forever but these are small, highly in demand breweries that are hard to get, unless you near very near them. Getting to drink westy in Europe is a lot better than it being shipped/smuggled over here.

My favorite international beer is made by cantillon in Brussels.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/new/ Good approximation of the top 250 beers in the world.

I am pretty happy with Guiness out of the tap, I never thought it was really upscale, just what I like.

One of the guys I work with doesn't have any kids and his wife works. I think they do pretty well financially in a situation like that. Anyway, he lives on Trapist beer.

He told me he usually picks it up at the Brewery on his way to Amsterdam.

I didn't know it was such a big deal beer, I wasn't impressed with it and I have on more in the fridge I'll probably drink later tonight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get and chance and are feeling adventurous, make sure why you are over there that you try gueze (goo-Za) style beer, especially from Cantillon (can-tee-on). Gueze is a sour wheat style beer made with wild yeast and bacteria. You can find it Europe for 5-13 euro, cheaper in Brussels. Here in the states it is $40-50 per 750 ml bottle, and the secondary market I have seen certain varietals as high as $500. There is less than 500 cases a year sent to the states. Cantillon is the best, but Drie Fonteinen and Tilquin are also great too.

Hell send me a few bottles, I'll pay you for them and the first box of ammo you need to go on the first hunt over there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can not ship beer via the USPS. I'll ask Deutch Post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I found one in the back of the fridge I had thought I lost.

It went in the pot to boil european wildboar sausages with. They were good!