Find
Notify
Tools

I can't wait to cut the cheese!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Today I did it. Put some cheese in the BBQ and cold smoked it. The weather was cold enough so what the heck. This is the first batch of smoked goods I have ever done. The cheeses are wrapped and resting in the fridge.

I have the chicken on the grill to cook through now.

~Ann

Posts: 15715 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ann, let us know how it goes.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 13699 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, I cold smoke Oregon Tillamook medium and sharp cheddar and their pepper jack cheese. I have been using a smoke tube full of hickory Traeger pellets, but have been advised apple is the wood/pellet of choice.
I have found the cheese harsh until it has aged at least a couple of weeks in the fridge -- and a month is better. Hope yours comes out delicious. I had not thought of cream chesse. YUM!

I won't take a sermon longer than 10 minutes.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's how the chicken came out after roasting. The maple flavor was excellent!

I had some for dinner and now the rest is going in the soup pot.

~Ann

Posts: 15715 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ann, I cold smoke Oregon Tillamook medium and sharp cheddar and their pepper jack cheese. I have been using a smoke tube full of hickory Traeger pellets, but have been advised apple is the wood/pellet of choice.
I have found the cheese harsh until it has aged at least a couple of weeks in the fridge -- and a month is better. Hope yours comes out delicious. I had not thought of cream chesse. YUM!

Hi Bill, Yes, I had some smoked cream cheese recently and knew I had to try this. I will let it go a month then. I knew the cheese needed to rest awhile. I was thinking ten days.

I chose maple for this run because it is a sweeter flavor that might blend well with cheeses. I will buy some more pellets with different flavors. I will put apple wood on the list.

I did not brine the chicken. Did not put anything at all on it just to see what the smoke did. Not disappointed at all. Next will be some salmon.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested this is the pellet tube I ended up purchasing for smoking.

Cave Tools

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, mine is similar, just round.
You might be able to get by with waiting just 10 days with the maple. I just mailed out smoked cheese to friends and family today and had to open a cube to test it. Smoked and then vacuum-sealed it on November 7 and today it was absolutely incredible -- nice and smooth.
That chicken looks fabulous!

Posts: 13782 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, when you mail out cheese do you put cold packs in with it?

Also, I never see Tillamook available here in flyover country. I feel lucky to find Vermont Cabot though!

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Bill, when you mail out cheese do you put cold packs in with it?

Also, I never see Tillamook available here in flyover country. I feel lucky to find Vermont Cabot though!

We get Tillamook here in Dubai.

Had some for my breakfast the other day.

Thanks o our friend Bill for recommending it, it is great!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 54316 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann and Bill, good info on cold smoking, thanks. Smoked chicken bones make a nice soup stock and the smoked chicken meat goes well in enchiladas.

Posts: 359 | Location: Florida | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, if you have an Albertson's, try there for Tillamook. Both Albertson's and Walmart carry it here in Alamogordo. I do not cold-pack the smoked cheese, counting on the vacuum packing to keep it wholesome. Never had an issue so far.
Saeed, that's awesome that you can get it in Dubai!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to know, Bill, for shipping cheese. I will vacuum seal if I do gift any that way.

I'd probably have to travel to a big metro city to find a store carrying Tillamook. For now I avoid them due to mask mandates and numbers of covid infested people not staying home.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Anything Tillamook is outstanding-Cheese, Ice Cream. . . .YUM! My favorites! My other personal favorite is Cache Valley cheese and ice cream, etc. out of Logan and Beaver, Utah. I love to visit their creamery and cheese factory in Beaver right off of I-15 on my drive from Las Vegas up to Northern Utah. All fresh! They also have the BEST cheese curds in all kinds of flavors-to die for!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love Tillanook's black rind extra sharp cheddar!

Posts: 13699 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Mouth is watering!

Zeke

one of us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
EWW! Who cut the cheese?

Posts: 823 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for someone's inner 12-year-old to make that comment ... Wink

one of us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
That’s Me
Glad I beat you to it Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know + agree; I wouldn't touch it. BTW, Ann, thanks for the posting + the humor! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I know + agree; I wouldn't touch it. BTW, Ann, thanks for the posting + the humor! Smiler

I am glad some of you got it. I did post with the appropriate humor involved. BTW- my farts don't stink. tu2

~Ann

one of us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Blame it on the dog...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was telling the wife about this thread last night and she said I better read it again and get on the smoking job asap!
She and I love smoky things.

Thanks all,
Zeke