New
Find
Notify
Tools

Know your desserts....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Pies,crisps and crumbles mmm mmm
Actually I like them all.
Getting a sugar rush looking at these.
Now your gonna have to post some of your recipes. (Always great)
I’ve got a can of pumpkin in the pantry.
Going to make a pie soon.

Posts: 1071 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I've got a killer-diller recipe for buttermilk pie that is always requested.I got it from a 90 year old Czech woman.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually is a very good tutorial.
Thanks.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got a killer-diller recipe for buttermilk pie that is always requested.I got it from a 90 year old Czech woman.

Please share! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. here we go. 1 stick of butter,2 C. sugar,3 T. flour,4 eggs,1 C. buttermilk,1 t. vanilla,1/2 C. coconut. Bake 1 hr, 20 min. @ 325 deg. Makes 2 regular 9" pies.Believe me you will need 2 just so you can have some for yourself.This recipe is truly "easy as pie".

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,did'nt specify. Nuke the butter in the microwave as you want it melted.Common sense but you never know.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
NC

I know "common sense and such, but are there crusts for this or is it more like a custard?

Wonder where one could ever find "real" buttermilk?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ron- this is great information.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC,I use store bought crusts from the freezer aisle as I don't have the patience to make my own + at a buck fifty,it's not worth my time,besides,most consumers are such Phillistenes that they would never know the difference.I buy my buttermilk at the local grocery store;in my case HEB.Now back when my uncle had a dairy,that was a completely different issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC,addendum,no it is not alike a custard,more akin to a chess pie.Just bake a couple + see the truth for yourself.It really is my 'take to party 'contribution as it is so easy to make + so well received.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Randy, next time you are at the HEB, go to the freezer section and look for The Pie Puck, by Texas Pie Co. It is a frozen puck of pre-made pie dough, in a small green and yellow packet that you defrost and roll out. The first time I tried it, it brought back memories of my Mom's homemade pie crusts! It is just, IMO, head and shoulders above all the premade crusts out there.
Lee

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,thanks for the tip.Next time I go to HEB I'll pick one up + give it a try.I know those store bought shells are no comparison to what my Grandmothers apple pies were. She always went to the extra effort as well to do the lattice top.