Notify
Tools

Christmas Turkey
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Turkey
I might try it this way.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

I'm going to try the Aaron Franklin method for Thanksgiving. If it turns out good, I'll repeat it for Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWHOEkBLAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4V_ef8P8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVP6CM6seU

Essentially, Aaron and his wife does a full Thanksgiving meal on the videos.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, thank you for that link!
I had planned to spatchcock a brined turkey and grill it on my Traeger pellet grill, but that bird and that gravy are impossible to resist.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Shootaway, thank you for that link!
I had planned to spatchcock a brined turkey and grill it on my Traeger pellet grill, but that bird and that gravy are impossible to resist.

An African tablecloth and some candles should make it tastier.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be a Hero and serve a prime rib roast instead.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:
Be a Hero and serve a prime rib roast instead.

MAN-O-MAN .....I agree!!!! But my mother-in-law insists on "tradition" (GAG). I did a prime rib roast one year, and it was PERFECTION!!!.....(SOB).

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found out Christmas turkey on the smoker isn't going to get a Thanksgiving trial run. Too many people heading different directions. Thanksgiving is going to be the Thanksgiving Buffet at The Mercury.

http://www.themercurydallas.com/index.php

Daughter and I were there last year while the wife was out of the country. It was a stunner of a layout.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll let y'all know how it comes out, it's in the oven now. Shootaway,Thanks for the link !

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Happy Thanks Giving!

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I did a turkey rouladen of sorts.

Cut the breast meat off as one piece and then seasoned it with Tony Cacheres and stuffed and rolled it full of cherries, brandy and sliced mango.

Turned out wonderful.

Took the carcass and boiled it down while the breast was in the oven for stock. Made the best gravy I have ever had.

My pumpkin pie sucked, forgot sugar, and my stuffing was horrible (not sure why) made from scratch.

The mincemeat pie was wonderful and I made pumpkin bread that was out of this world.

Good day of eating all around.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I brined my turkey for 14 hours using Alton Browns concoction. I used the butter/lemon/herb combo that Ramsey used to self baste the breast. On Shootaways link, there is also a video by Laura Vitale that was helpful using a bed of vegetables under the turkey to enhance the drippings for gravy, very good idea! My wife and I agreed, this was absolutely the finest turkey we had ever made! It was moist, flavorful, and browned up perfectly! Combined with my wifes cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole flavored with Crown Royal, Asparagus casserole(same recipe as green bean, just substitute asparagus) mashed potatoes made with Philly cream cheese, along with my wifes yeast rolls.... we hurt ourselves! It was one of those rare events where everything come off perfectly! Thanks again Shootaway, for the link!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey brining, Ham prepped. Ready to crank-up the smoker tomorrow about 3:30pm. One fly in the ointment; a rain came through about 5:00am this morning and wet my woodpile. I've got the fire chamber full of dry wood so I'm probably good for an hour to an hour and a half before I'll have to start adding some damp stuff.

I'm using a Franklin / Ramsey hybrid recipe. I'll be cooking both meats in the same smoker. There is always the chance we find ourselves eating at Whataburger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to having Turkey using this recipe today.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had it today.The turkey tasted great.It was not dry as usual especially the breast.You could taste a hint of lemon in the meat-just perfect.We will do it this way for new years also.This was a success.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ramsey/Franklin smoked turkey & ham came out great. I didn't make any comment, just waited to hear what comments came out. Wife thought the turkey was excellent. Daughter normally thinks turkey is too dry, but said she was amazed how juicy this one was. Everyone loved the ham.

I've only made two changes for next year. I'm going to start the fire a full hour before placing the meat in the smoker. I was having a difficult time getting the fire started and temperature stabilized at 325.

UP the finished temperature for the turkey to 170-175. (I'll count on another 30 minutes or so in the smoker to achieve this.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ours took 3 1/2 hours at 325 degrees celsius.The only issue was with the gravy.We substituted the apply cider and that did not work out.I am going to get some in the next few days.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, that temperature of yours doesn't sound right. 325 Celsius equals 617 degrees Fahrenheit. My cooking temperature was 325F for 3+ hours. 617 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 1/2 hours would be one crispy critter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry that should be farenheit

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am planning on substituting the dry cider in the gravy recipe for apple cider.Does anyone think it will work?

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
My dad has always done them on the Weber charcoal grill with coals spread around the sides of the grill for low indirect heat, a pan with water for moisture in the middle, and lots of hickory chips for flavor.

For prep, he liberally coats the (thawed) bird in mayonnaise, adds salt and pepper, then puts it in a roasting pan with a couple inches of water mixed with chicken bouillon. Then it's on to the grill.

Could just be my preference now, but I wouldn't do it any other way. I haven't seem him brine one beforehand though and that in my opinion would be worth trying after brining my own wild turkey this year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How reliable are those pop-up thermometers? The turkey I bought had one, but since I was going to foil wrap it towards the end of the cook, I pulled the pop-up out and threw it away.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
We keep it in for the hell of it and use a separate thermometer. That being said, it pretty much always pops before we take the bird off.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yours is a good looking bird that's for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just had my turkey and it was great.The gravy sauce was good too.I had some potatoes, and brown rice with chestnuts as well.I also had a pumpkin patty.I hope to do it again next year.Happy New Year!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously not a studio pic but this is exactly what the gravy sauce looks like.It has a great aroma and tastes even better today.
[URL= ]gravy[/URL]