THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTSHELL RELOADING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bismuth loads, with fibre wads - anybody have data?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have too much time on my hands with this virus circulating, so have been doing some exotic reloading projects. This shot shell project I did not start yet because I don't have data. I would like to load some bismuth shot in 12ga. 2-3/4" hulls using old style card and fibre wads. I prefer not to leave plastic wads littering the hunting fields and marshes after my hunts any more. But I can't find any data. I wrote to Ballistic Products and Circle Fly wad company, but no luck with a response from BP, and CF said ask BP!
So I am throwing my request on AccurateReloadings membership. I have on hand good selection of over shot cards, filler wads, bismuth shot and various hulls, various primers and powders. Even some buffer. Just no idea how to put them together. If I could find data for the Federal paper target hull that would be ideal. But other hull data would be very welcome. If you have data, Please share! Thanks!

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use lower to mid-range lead data.

One will find a lot of cross over in data at those ranges.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have to do some experimenting. I have done some work with bismuth but none with fiber wads. You will need a chronograph. My experience has been that fiber wads will generally lower velocities and give greater variance in velocities. Start with a published load using lead/plastic, chronograph 5 or more shots, then replace the plastic wad with fiber and see what you get. My experience is that bismuth tends to act like lead. If you can find an old Lyman 1st edition shot shell handbook it has data on loads using fiber wads and plastic. Unfortunately all the plastic wads listed in it are now obsolete, but it will give you a sense of what the differences are. Paper hulls vs plastic will also change things a bit. Have fun.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Precision Reloading in their older manual had a few.

The powders were rather limited that they used.

I have had good luck with 12 ga FGM paper hull, SR 4756, and some nitro cards and 1.25 oz bismuth from that book.

There were no subgauge loads in that book for so called eco-bismuth.

I have seen the recommendation that you could substitute nitro card and fiber for a plastic wad with lead shot and you would be somewhat less in pressure per a number of older manuals- but I have also seen where guys who have had those loads pressure tested said the pressures went over SAAMI limits.

The real source of data would seem to be our european and british cousins, but the data that is online all seems to be behind pay walls.

I too would be interested in hearing some of these with more modern/available components.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Ballistic products did eventually reply, with some helpful data on a digital data sheet that they sent me by email. Now to try some out!

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did they call it?

I would be interested in getting it from them as well- I send them enough money as it is, they should be willing- but I need to be able to tell the guy on the phone what I want... if I don't they usually say "we don't have that..."

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"BPI Load Guide, Bismuth Shot" and one for english style low pressure short loads: BP Technical Manual "English-style Game Loads

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On further study, neither BPI data sheets have exactly what I wanted. I did find something in the Lyman, 5th edition. Federal 12 ga. 2-3/4" hulls, paper card and fibre wad, bismuth shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long Walker,

Is there ANYTHING in the Lyman 5th Edition about 28 gauges and Bismuth to reload? I will buy a new manual if there is.

I am trying to develope a load w/ a plastic wad - no cup - using Bismuth to be non-toxic & will spread out in a M-F old double barrel O/U.

Thank you!
Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes there is Brittman. 3/4 oz loads in the following cases: Federal / paper basewad, Remington STS, Winchester CF, Win HS, each with a variety of wads. I would think that cutting the petals off of a shot cup and adding a little cork filler under the shot would achieve what you want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brittman:
Long Walker,

Is there ANYTHING in the Lyman 5th Edition about 28 gauges and Bismuth to reload? I will buy a new manual if there is.

I am trying to develope a load w/ a plastic wad - no cup - using Bismuth to be non-toxic & will spread out in a M-F old double barrel O/U.

Thank you!
Brittman

Check out the line of Precision Reloading gas seals and short wads. Once you get the wad stack to the correct height for your shot column you can easily assemble loads. Takes a bit of fiddlig around. For Bismuth, I use lead loads and substitute Bismuth. Works for me.

Go here: P. R. Gas seals and short wads

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote