New
Find
Notify
Tools

newbie with questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, I have never reloaded although I have been learning all I can and hope to start reloading for rifle soon. My dad found a shotshell reloader he bought years ago when he first started shooting at his club. Well with 2 kids and all the overtime he wanted( back in the good ol economic days) he never really got started. I brought it home today and was wondering if this may be worth using to start reloading for sporting clays targets from a stevens 512. My next question is a generic newbie one, but what all will I need to get to start with this particular press. It is a pacific, made by hornady DL- 105, a picture is attatched, thanks in advance.

John 3:16

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry couldnt get the picture to post.

John 3:16

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the Pacific 105 was a single stage reloader that was on the market about 40 years ago. Single stage means that you have pull the handle down for each reloading stage, or 6 times, to load each shell.

Progressive reloaders perform the 6 (or more) reloading stages simultaneosly with each stroke of the handle.

My first shotshell reloader is a Pacific "Honey Bear" that was similar to the 105. I bought it in the early 70's when I got my first shotgun and started shooting some trap and bird hunting. I still have it on my bench, and use it for reloading hunting shotshells.

The Dl-105 uses the same powder and shot bushings as Hornady's current line of shotshell reloaders, like the Dl-366. It is probably still a good "starter" reloader.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had someone give me a 105 a few years ago. I had a friend ask me what the guy had against me. WinkI was and still am shooting skeet but I was shooting the 12 gauge events with the 20 gauge and loading the 20, 28 and 410 on a Spolar Gold reloader. It is probably as fast a progressive as you can get without resorting to hydraulic or electric assist. Given that the 105 drove me nuts. It did however make shells that were very acceptable. You are blessed to not know what you can accomplish with a progressive and will do well I would imagine.

I bought the 12 ga dies to my spolar and also got a MEC Grabber in 12 gauge. I gave the loader to another shooter who did not have a loader. I like him but in the end he may not like me.

Okay all just in fun but the loader will function. It is just slow.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The old 105 will turn out fine reloads, as noted it is a single stage and a bit slower than a progressive but still with some practice you can make about 100 shells per hour with it. It may take some tweeking to get set up but it's not that difficult. Powder & Shot Bushings are still available from Hornady as they bought out Pacific years ago, other parts might be a bit harder to find.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote