New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 ga 2 7/8 in
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Loaded up some Bismuth shot for my old LC Smith double barrel 10 ga 2 7/8". Used the same load as I had for 1 1/2 oz of lead and got very close to the same results. Spent last week shooting geese and one afternoon I even tried out the old 10 bore. Got a bit of shooting that afternoon and actually dumped a couple Canada geese with that old gun. I was quite impressed at how it performed. Talk about excited !

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great hunt. It's hard not to love knocking down birds with a classic double.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little plug here for the supplier of the Bismuth shot. I purchased some Bismuth that was made/sold by Rotometals. Apparently they alloy a little tin into the bismuth. The pellets are rounder than other bismuth shot I have seen and the pellets I recovered from a shot into an old phonebook did NOT fragment like older Bismuth shot I have seen. To me this makes this Bismuth shot much more effective and makes many old guns quite useable. I had more fun with that old gun and 4 shots and 2 geese than I did with all my fancy 3 1/2 in autoloaders and pumps.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ithaca Lewis 10 gauge 2 7/8". I've have done the same although my shooting has just been ducks. the geese never cooperated when I had the Ithaca along. A load of 1 1/4 ounce Bismuth 6's does a great job on decoyed ducks. I just got four bottles of shot from Rotometals. I haven't had a chance to load any yet.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duck and Goose season is only a couple weeks away in Manitoba. I have a few boxes of Bismuth loaded up and I am looking forward to getting some shooting with the old 10 ga. Anyone else getting an old gun ready for the season?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Where can I buy some 10G. 2 7/8 loaded shells? I sold an original 1886 to a buddy + now he can't find ammo. It seems a shame to use it only as a wall hanger. The shotguns in great shape with a 30 bbl. He lives in Nebraska + I know he could put it to good use. Any leads appreciated.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Where can I buy some 10G. 2 7/8 loaded shells? I sold an original 1886 to a buddy + now he can't find ammo. It seems a shame to use it only as a wall hanger. The shotguns in great shape with a 30 bbl. He lives in Nebraska + I know he could put it to good use. Any leads appreciated.

RST. They are on the internet.
I bought several boxes when I was on the east coast for my 10 to use on grouse. I also shoot the old Winchester and Remington heavy loads for turkey.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Cal, you wouldn't have a link for them by any chance?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used RST yesterday in my O/U 10ga. It has 3.5" chambers, but those 2.875" shells shoot so nicely. 3 Shots, 3 birds. I was using the 1.25oz #6 @1175 through a ImpCyl/Lt-Mod tubes. Worked fantastic.

I might buy 20 boxes of that stuff. Wish they would load Bismuth or TungstenPolymer....

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drew, do you have any contact info? I'd like to order some.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Drew, do you have any contact info? I'd like to order some.

"RST Shells" Type that into your search engine of choice.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading my 2 7/8 in 10 ga on an old Mec 250 press that I cobbled together with the help of a gentleman who had worked at Mec for about 50 yrs. He knew exactly what parts I needed to make things work. Only hitch is crimping the cases that are cut down
3 1/2 cases. Not quite perfect. Picked up a box of P&W parts recently and low and behold there was a new tool head with 10 ga dies never used.Called P&W and they shipped me a 2 7/8 size die and with a little adjusting I now have a 10 ga loader that crimps perfectly and produces shells that look like factory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice. I picked up a MEC for 10 gauge last winter, for loading my old Spanish double 10. Still sourcing components. What powder and wads are you using? - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
RST ammo: http://rstshells.com

Good stuff, I've used quite a bit in vintage 10, 12 and 16 over the years.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote