New
Find
Notify
Tools

28GA STS Hull Problems???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello - I have a MEC 9000 & have been relaoding 28ga for @ 7 years. I usually load Win AA (old style) or Rem STS hulls. I shot a box of new Rem STS loads last week (I bought a few boxes to replace some old hulls). When I went to load them last night I had @ 1/2 dozen hulls that would not allow the primer to seat at the full depth. After that I gave up & loaded some of my old hulls - no problems this time. It's almost as if the primer pocket is undersized. Has anyone else experienced this???

Ernie Shipman
1st Laird of the Signmakers of Gonic
redwood@metrocast.net

Posts: 140 | Location: Cow Hampshire | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I've run into this and there are 2 things you can do: 1. Get a #1 (.228) drill bit and drill out the little bit of plastic you'll see if you look inside the deprimed hull from the out side. This is a PITA. 2. (what I do) Push harder on the handle seating the primer.You only have to do this the first time after that primers seat fine. I've done about 5000 STS hulls like this and never had a problem.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ernie, I have a MEC sizemaster 28 ga. reloader and had the same problem with the STS hull. I put a flat washer under the priming ram to lengthen it and have no problems priming now. When I switch back to the winchester hull I remove the washer and place it on top of the ram under the primering tray. I also make a small adjustment to the final crimp station when loading the STS hull. Works for me.

Posts: 65 | Location: West Bend, WI. | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Gary S. has it exactly right a #1 drill will fix the problem. I have given up on the 28 ga STS hulls unless given to me or scrounged off the field. I find their reloading life to be poor maybe 5 or 6 at best. The ends turn crispy quickly and they split at the folds. If purchasing I highly recomend the 28 ga AAHS hull you can easily get 10 good reloads from them

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote