New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotstring photographs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to find some modern digital photographs that can show the difference in shotstring length between a one ounce load in a 12 bore and an identical one ounce load fired from a 20 bore shotgun.

Gough Thomas wrote (45 years ago!) that as the area of the 20 bore/ gauge is 30% less then the shot string will be much longer, but I would love to see some proof or otherwise. Any photos out there?

HB

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
I remember a looong time ago seeing slow motion video of shot hitting a paper target. The longer column took longer to finish hitting the target than the shorter column. Both were 1 once loads. One 12 ga and the other 20 ga. Same velocity for both.

It was interesting watching the shot hit over a period of time. Can not remember where to look. It was long ago.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I used to have a paper a home-grown physics dude I knew here in Idaho wrote a long time ago about the perfect shot column - that it would be square as it sat in the shell. The shape being determined By the combination of the bore, the size of the shot and the weight. I’ll have to see if I can find it. Whether he is “right” or not, I have no idea, but his paper was interesting to read.

And funny you ask about pics...yesterday I was wondering what effect (If any) a swinging barrel had on shot. I was watching ducks come racing into a pond and thinking about how far and fast I’d have to lead them if I were pass shooting (which I don’t do), just a thought experiment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to take a look at "Sporting Shotgun Performance" by Dr. A.C. Jones. He goes into all this. Ed Lowery wrote a series of articles in the American Rifleman starting in 1979 which also covers shot stringing etc. I have been trying to find copies of his articles but without much luck.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

I have been re-reading my copy of the Gough Thomas book on shotguns and their cartridges, written 45 years ago. He states that the shot string is seven feet long.

This is of course for the normal British 12 bore / gauge 2.5" cartridge with 1 & 1/16th ounces of shot. So I imagine that a 20 bore with a similar weight of shot will have a much longer string.

But would still love to see some photographs...

HB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found this on 'Tube'. Sure would like to see more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edLXEqnicqk
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Brister discussed and illustrated his shot string experiments in his book, Shotgunning the Art and Science I don't have my copy handy, so I can't say that he has the photos you want. But he has something better - photos and data on shot patterns on MOVING pattern boards. This is the best work I've seen on the subject, including Burard and Thomas. If you like shotguns you need this book.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alec

Thanks for that tip! He seems to be unknown here in England, but I have found one copy so have ordered it to read during our lockdown and suspension of pheasant shooting!

HB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HistoricBore:
Hi Alec

Thanks for that tip! He seems to be unknown here in England, but I have found one copy so have ordered it to read during our lockdown and suspension of pheasant shooting!

HB

Just trying to spread joy - and knowledge.

Suspended pheasant shooting?! Egads... I would think that any line of shooters would be practicing social distancing?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't work like that: One household 'bubble' can meet outdoors with only one other person, so our usual gathering of eight Guns plus 12 beaters and dog handlers is far too many people.

But on our tiny local shoot our two bits of land (say 50 acres each) one Gun can meet up with another Gun plus his dog and then walk up whatever pheasants one can find. On Friday we got two. But the weather is so warm that most of our birds have wandered off somewhere.....

HB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I showed my hunting partner the difference in my "square" 1 oz 16 gauge load vs his 1 oz 20 ga load by shooting across a pond at about 40 yds.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alec Torres

Just a line to say that my copy of Bob Brister's book has arrived today, so I am going to stay inside away from the rain and fog to study it properly before our next pheasant shoot on Saturday, now that our national lockdown has been eased.
Maybe it will make all the difference.....

HB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HistoricBore:
Hi Alec Torres

Just a line to say that my copy of Bob Brister's book has arrived today, so I am going to stay inside away from the rain and fog to study it properly before our next pheasant shoot on Saturday, now that our national lockdown has been eased.
Maybe it will make all the difference.....

HB

I hope that you find it illuminating... I did.