Find
Notify
Tools

Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted
Took the plunge....went electric. Quicker than anything I've ever been in....by far. Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should offer rides for $10 a shot.

Just how long and often does it take to charge if you stay in Ludicrous mode?

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredibly nice rides...there is a Tesla "repair" center around the corner from the DSC office and every once in a while, if you are lucky, you can see them testing one of them and apparently it must be done at full throttle. Man, they are quick. Good looking, too.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
too many doors...
not enough charging stations to go very far from home...

City car, imho.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of well-paid techies here in Seattle, and a lot of Teslas. I see at least two a day. They certainly are beautiful.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
too many doors...

City car, imho.

Rich: this is my first car with 4 doors and my first one that has not been a manual shift. They say it has a range of 270 miles, but I think that is optimistic. I've had it from Phoenix down to Tucson, but that's about it. I would never try to drive it from here to LA....that trip would take too long, and would be a logistical nightmare. It is an around town car. For the long hauls, a gasoline powered vehicle is still called for. Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
You should offer rides for $10 a shot.

Just how long and often does it take to charge if you stay in Ludicrous mode?

tu2

Hello, Opus1: the Ludicrous mode does not have so much to do with charging as it does with charge depletion. It will run the batteries down quicker in the Ludicrous mode than it will in the Sports mode....how much quicker, I have not yet determined. I had a dual charger module installed in the car when I took delivery of it a few weeks ago. I also had my electrician install a dedicated 100 Amp circuit in my garage to charge the car. I am told, that with this combination, my car will be charged at the rate of 58 miles of charge in an hour period of time. So, from a fully depleted battery pack to a full battery pack should take around 5 hours. Cheers. Chip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice looking car. I always said, if I ever bought a 4-door it would be a Jag; but this one would be very nice.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
R
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPB:
quote:
too many doors...

City car, imho.

Rich: this is my first car with 4 doors and my first one that has not been a manual shift. They say it has a range of 270 miles, but I think that is optimistic. I've had it from Phoenix down to Tucson, but that's about it. I would never try to drive it from here to LA....that trip would take too long, and would be a logistical nightmare. It is an around town car. For the long hauls, a gasoline powered vehicle is still called for. Cheers. Chip.
If you look at the locations of Tesla charging stations throughout the USA it is practical for cross country freeway travel with minor exceptions...as long as you're willing to stop and recharge every 250 miles.

Which would be fine with me as I need a pit-stop and long stretch at the range anyway...

But I'm happy with my Avalon Limited Hybrid with its 500+ mile range at far less cost.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you'll be fine as long as you don't stray far from the limited stations.

I saw a great commercial about the Panamera electric model. Great close with a hotty young soccer mom plugging it into a charging station in the garage about the size of an army foot locker.

I would not have the discipline to handle the confines they impose on travel. Don't think my 87 year old Mother would be cool to buy one of the $5800 units just for me to visit twice a year either.

I'll just stick with my old fashioned gas burners.

I also wonder how they figure out how to charge you for a fill on the road, and how huge your electric bill will be at months' end if you drive it much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two or three Teslas on the road in Jacksonville. Beautiful looking cars. I drove a hybrid the other day. The responsiveness to the "throttle" is amazing. Immediate and continuous with the CVT!
Having said that there are about a half dozen Maseratis in Jacksonville. They are beautiful as well!!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the choice, I would take the Maserati.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that makes two of us...

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
CHIPB

Very nice car tu2

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
R
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPB:
quote:
too many doors...

City car, imho.

If you look at the locations of Tesla charging stations throughout the USA it is practical for cross country freeway travel with minor exceptions...as long as you're willing to stop and recharge every 250 miles.

Which would be fine with me as I need a pit-stop and long stretch at the range anyway...

But I'm happy with my Avalon Limited Hybrid with its 500+ mile range at far less cost.

So 5 hour pit stops every 4 hours of driving works for you?...beautiful car but not very practical

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to side with jdollar on this one, although it pains me... holycow

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
jdollar:

From my point of view, it could be the most practical car for me. Scenario:

Driving about 100 km (60 miles) to work (to the garage with electricity), let it charge there ;-), and 100 km home. In 99 % I don't need to drive more than 200 km daily. And if I need it few times a year, I can rent a gasoline car . . .

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive it to work and charge it back up on the bosses elec meter :-)

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tesla is opening a showroom in Jacksonville, Florida!
Looks like they are going for it!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote