New
Find
Notify
Tools

most fun automatic under $60K
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The suggestions range from 3200 lb cars up to over 2 tons, and huge physical differences. My 60 Olds convertible was a blast, & maybe the one car I wish I could have back. My son's 140 hp Corvair was a real hoot. My oldest son had an engine swapped Corvette that would scare the hell out of me on acceleration and give you vertigo on an off ramp. I have a Fiero with a 3800 stuck in the back, and it's really cool as well. Get on Pennock's Fiero forum and you can buy beautifully supercharged 3800 examples for sale now and then and not spend 15K. 11 and 12 second cars. A used Porsche, yes, but for me the styling is tired. You want to float down the road or play? 57 Buick or or a late Lotus?

Posts: 15871 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll preface my suggestion by saying that I hate automatic transmissions in sports cars. Having said that, you should look hard at a late model PDK equipped 911 or Cayman GTS.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thought I would bring this full circle as I finally pulled the trigger. I bought a low mileage 2007 Mercedes CL600. Love the pillarless styling of these coupes. Have had it for about 3 months now and I'm pleased with the car but not in love. It is quiet and nicely appointed inside, and has power to spare with the V12, but I'm still trying to get used to the turbo lag. Also, the suspension is springy, even in its Sports mode - very different from my sports car experience. thanks for all the ideas

Posts: 230 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I need to share this story. My good friend + neighbor used to be #2 under Bob Bullock. He lived out here in the country in a unassuming manner + had beau coup cars so as never to be late for work.One day one of the girls at the capital asked him if he knew anyone that might want to buy a car.He asked her what she had. Seems her husband (before flying his airplane into a mountain) had gone to Austria + bought a brand new BMW + had it shipped back here stateside.Anyway,after 2 years of mourning her late husband,decided to get on with her life which started with getting rid of all his stuff.So she called Tony + asked him to help her sell the car. It was up on blocks in the garage but the battery was dead after 2 years of sitting.She asked if he could bring a new battery so she could advertise it.So Tony asks her.what do you want for it? She says.How about $2500.00? Tony says I will be right over with a battery + $2500.00.When he was driving it home on Mopac + looked at his speedo @ 140 he liked to shit a brick before he remembered it was in KM.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy smoke, a V12 with a turbo? Having said that I understand that the technology has improved significantly since 2007. Of course, superchargers didn't have this problem (as far as I know).
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is a special section in Hell for people who cheat widows out of their property just because they don't know the real value. I see it all the time with guns, and military vehicles.
A friend just bought a 42 GPW for $2000. Worth ten times that. Same story over and over; poor widow has no clue so she picks a random number and sells it.
Worse is the guys who tell the widow; "John (barely cold in the grave) wanted me to have this gun so I will give you $100 for it".

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1,Tony was not cheating her;she established the price. #2 as I mentioned that she worked at the capital as well + her husband could afford the car + the airplane + the house in Northwest Hills,she was NOT a poor widow woman.She just wanted to get rid of his things that brought back memories.But I do know what you mean + I agree with you on someone taking advantage.Personal case in point,about 30 years ago a guy here in town knew I was into guns + asked if I would pay $50.00 for an M1 carbine (as he had kids + no one should have guns;ad nauseum). I said sure. I bought it + then he asked me if I might be interested in another gun he had. He brought out an original Colt 1851 w/ holster. He asked if I would give him $50.00 for that one as well. Seems it was his great grandfathers who was a lawman in West Texas.I told him yes I would but asked if he had any siblings.I mean that is family heritage. He finally agreed. I suppose he sold it to the next guy who came along but I still feel that I did the right thing.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Give the 600 a chance.

Renntech is the king of the mountain on performance Benz's and they've got a place in Georgetown.

I would give them a call and ask if they can tune out your twin turbo lag using the stock ECU. Have your VIN number with you. They will need it.
It's surprising to hear that the SPORT mode does little to stiffen the ride. May as well mention that issue while you're on the phone. A simple re-program might fix that right quick.

There is Lots of potential in your ride. Tuning and electronic tweaking by a qualified tech is a big plus.

They also have a performance ECU for this engine. It will cost a bit, not cheap. But, it might be a simple swap. Bonus is over 100 more horsepower. Bone stock is 510.

RENNtech ECU Upgrade CL 600 (C216- 625 HP / 745 TQ)
RENNtech ECU Upgrade for 216 - CL 600. Up to 625 HP and 745 LB-FT.
Gains: +115 HP & +133 LB-FT.
SKU: ECU:54.216.CL600

quote:
Originally posted by S. Texan:
thought I would bring this full circle as I finally pulled the trigger. I bought a low mileage 2007 Mercedes CL600. Love the pillarless styling of these coupes. Have had it for about 3 months now and I'm pleased with the car but not in love. It is quiet and nicely appointed inside, and has power to spare with the V12, but I'm still trying to get used to the turbo lag. Also, the suspension is springy, even in its Sports mode - very different from my sports car experience. thanks for all the ideas

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
When I "liked" Mercedes I really loved the supercharged AMGs as you had the benefit of the nice torque of a big V8 on steroids being blown. I had an S 55 and SL 55, I preferred the supercharged AMGs over the 12s. (Got pissed when they dropped the superchargers) Turbo lag sucked in those era cars. Furthermore, by default a V8 will have more grunt, esp low end when compared to the torque of a V12. V12s shine in having the torque band better suited for the higher rpms of spirited driving. Ferrari's clear their throats below 5,000 rpms and start to really sing at 7-8500. Peak torque in my F12 is at 8500 RPM.

Current turbos with the dual set ups and variable vanes behave more like superchargers. Instant torque at all speeds all gears. Some do it better than others: My Panamera Turbo is perfect because of the above, the S 550 Coupe it replaced suffered tremendously from turbo lag. A dog shit care and my last MB.

Regardless, the SLs are really nice and comfortable cars (my wife also had an SL 550), they're not sports cars by any means- too fat and chunky to throw around, but really nice comfortable daily drivers. And MBs are autos, not real paddleshifts..........

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
When I "liked" Mercedes I really loved the supercharged AMGs as you had the benefit of the nice torque of a big V8 on steroids being blown.
Never drove a supercharged Benz. My first & only experience in one was an American made one. A 1990 Bonneville SST with a supercharged 3800. Quiet as a church mouse and when coerced it set me back in the seat.. Way more powerful than the 350 small block Corvettes I drove at the dealership. I had an S 55 and SL 55, I preferred the supercharged AMGs over the 12's. I thought the 550TT wasn't out-shined by much by the V-12. Not much to gain or so it seemed on paper. (Got pissed when they dropped the superchargers) Turbo lag sucked in those era cars.

Furthermore, by default a V8 will have more grunt, esp low end when compared to the torque of a V12. V12s shine in having the torque band better suited for the higher rpms of spirited driving. Ferrari's clear their throats below 5,000 rpms and start to really sing at 7-8500. Peak torque in my F12 is at 8500 RPM.

Factory settings can be adjusted a bit richer at low end to lose the lazy. Might lose some efficiency. The trick is to find the guy who can do it and not have the engine flunk the sniffer at inspection time. A friend's F430 felt like it was ill until the Ferrari shop in Philly tweaked the fuel curve. They found the sweet spot. He never revs over 4000. Won't let me drive it. He knows better I guess.

Current turbos with the dual set ups and variable vanes behave more like superchargers. Instant torque at all speeds all gears. Some do it better than others: My Panamera Turbo is perfect because of the above, the S 550 Coupe it replaced suffered tremendously from turbo lag. A dog shit care and my last MB.

The newer 'twin spool' turbos are a jump in performance and efficiency. But, I'm still done with newer Benz's. Not much to get excited about anymore. I had a new 2018 E300 (2.3T?) on loan while my GLK timing chain was replaced. The car felt a little watered down compared to our 2010 and 2013's, yet on the positive side the engine had no stumbles at off idle, nothing. Acceleration was respectable up to about 65 mph, then it got lazy. Must be a twin spool turbo tuned for daily driving. I expect larger engines might use the same technology.
The newer 'twin spool' turbos are a jump in performance and efficiency though. Are they variable? Well it's about time technology got caught up. I had a new E300 (2.3T?) on loan while my GLK timing chain was replaced. The engine had no stumbles at off idle, nothing. Acceleration was respectable up to about 65 mph, then it got lazy. Must be a twin spool turbo. I expect larger engines might use the same technology.

Regardless, the SLs are really nice and comfortable cars (my wife also had an SL 550), they're not sports cars by any means- too fat and chunky to throw around, but really nice comfortable daily drivers. And MBs are autos, not real paddleshifts..........

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I vote for a Corvette. You can buy a new 2017 1LT model with auto for roughly $8-10K under your budget.

+1

I bought a new 2018 Stingray last March - 1LT with performance exhaust, nav/data recorder, red calipers and auto / paddle shift transmission for $52.5. Throw in the Corvette Performance Driving School subsidized by GM, and you have a great package within your budget and more power than you will ever need (460HP).

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
What!!!! Never revs over 4000- pussy. Those cars are made to bounce off the rev limiter. I always made sure to burn the carbon off my plugs every time I took my 360 out. Just put 250 mi on my F12 today with my son. Went to town to look at Porsches.......

Yeah, I too am done with them as well, but with the whole brand for good. I traded in my son's CLS (last hold out) for a Ford raptor- helluva truck with a very comfortable ride.

Back on topic: You did well with that era SL- the last decade of the MBs of old, with decent reliability. Really nice comfortable GTs. You did well.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Bigtime puss out. I agree 100 %. Great business man though.
He had left me drive his 1999 Carerra C2 coupe once on a really nice smooth back road and got scared when the trees going by were a blur to him after I came out of a 90 degree turn and got up to 3rd gear. Wasn't going very fast. Oh sorry. You said what 4000 rpms? oooops.
I'm waiting for the 2019 Rangers. Should be here by May. They're running a twin spool turbo 2.4L (I think it's 2.4 or 2.3).
I bought 3 Rangers in a row new from '87 to '93 and all rode nice a soft. A little rocky side to side on uneven pavement at low speeds. But a breeze to drive long distance.
Had a 1996 bronco, loved it too.
My problem with new Rangers are they will cost nearly the same as full size trucks. Better be something fantastic to loosen my cash.
The GLK is fine so far at 87000 miles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What!!!! Never revs over 4000- pussy. Those cars are made to bounce off the rev limiter. I always made sure to burn the carbon off my plugs every time I took my 360 out.

Ahh, the Italian tune up.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that along the same line as the Italian tires? Dago fast + dago slow but when dago flat dago wop wop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
when dago flat dago wop wop.

Damn, that is so politically incorrect.....!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know,I know,but watch out for the french tires;they'll go down on you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend Peter,please lighten up;these are jokes. Do you recall the advent of the term political correctness?When MacArther went to take the Jap surrender on the US Missouri in Tokyo bay in August 1945.Mac called Truman + said that the "little yellow bastards would be there directly". Truman says,"Now that comment was not very politically correct" To which EMPEROR Douglas replies." The concept of political correctness is the disallusion that a turd can be picked by the clean end.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
M-B CLS 63 AMG. I’m talking about the normally aspirated 6.2 liter, 507 bhp V8. Seven speed automatic with option of manual paddle shifting. A 2010 can be had for a relative song. They’re beasts.

Also would recommend one of the new Alfa Romeo 505 bhp, dual turbocharged, 2.9 liter V6 powered Giulia Quadrifolios. Eight speed automatic with option of manual paddle shifting. Monsters.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norman, my comment was also meant as a joke!
Now, back to topic, Michael, why is the MB 63 AMG going for a "relative song"? Presumably there is a reason the market values it that way? Are they a maintenance issue?
Peter.