Find
Notify
Tools

54 Kodiak Double Firing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Working this fall with my 54 Kodiak double rifle, it was giving me misfires; I put musket nipples on it as they are easier to handle and are hotter. Same reason the army used them.
But misfires are not good, and I have never had one before, and I have been shooting muzzle loaders since 1968.
I checked the nipples; internal hole was .018. WAY too small.
So I drilled them out to .045. (normal is about .035 but I wanted to make sure).
Took it to the range today;
Result; 100% positive ignition now with 80 grains of Goex ffg.
Once in a while it will blow the cap off, but I prefer perfect ignition so that doesn't bother me.
BTW, I still want another .58; I had one and stupidly sold it. I have a set of new 50 caliber barrels that I will trade.
OH, and it shoots into two inches at 50 yards. Lucky because they came with two sights; one for each barrel.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that later ones came with 2 rear sights, I guess to appease those complaining about the lack of regulation with a single rear sight. They sound like fun guns!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 72 cal Kodiak Safari grade double rifle ...120 gr. 2F ... .710 pure lead patched round ball ( 550 gr. )

I also have two rear sights , but use my right sight for 50-100 yards and my left sight for beyond 100 ... regulation is not to bad ,and they are fun to shoot ..

Not bad off the bench , because the gun is heavy.. they go thru a lot of powder :-)

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
72 cal....that's 12 bore, right? Big slug!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very close
12 guage is .729 dia. 585 grain( 1.3 oz ) slug .

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all nipples are created equal. Buy some Treso nipples from the "Possibles Shop) in New Mexico and you'll see a difference. Many reproduction guns use inferior/cheap nipples. The Treso nipples and Slix SHot nipples are a cut above...

The musket cap is certainly bigger and easier to handle but as noted it causes blowback.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have the Tresco nipples; those are the ones that were too small inside. These were not Italian nipples. It is not the Musket caps that cause the blowback.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I use .032 diameter nipples. I have had Remington primers leave foil in the nipple clogging the hole. If the hole is clear, it will shoot! The nipple are directly into the powder. I fire a cap after wiping! I am one of the guys that blows down the barrel to see the smoke come out of the nipple......only when both barrels are empty!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Primers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing that is crucially important on a hammer gun like this is the face of the hammer must strike the end of the nipple perfectly. Many reproduction guns/locks overlook this aspect of ignition. Does the hammer face make uniform contact with the nipple? Its an easy fix as you simply have to bend the hammer to get it aligned properly. This was a common problem in black powder guns during the age of the percussion cap. Musket caps/nipples are of course larger in every respect and on a military arm of the day the hammer was powered by a much stronger spring than typically found on a sporting rifle Using musket caps/nipples on guns with weaker mainsprings will cause blowback...this is even true on percussion revolvers with tradtional nipples when you use a weak or low powered mainspring.

THe other thing to avoid with black powder guns is petroleum based lubes and oils. THey have a nasty tendency to fowl up a gun much faster than say a plant or animal based lube. If you doubt this take a black powder revolver snd lube it with some petroleum based oils and greases and you will find they begin to bind up between 2 and 3 cylinder yet the same revolver will easily function without cleaning for 10 cylinderfulls or more with a good plant based lube like tallow and beeswax or even coconut oil and beeswax mixtures. Or of course some of the commercial offerings like TC bore butter I've always found caplock rifles and petroleum oils don't mix well and misfires are the symptom

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Cap lock rifles are unreliable and too modern; which is why I prefer Flintlocks. I ask my friends who shoot cap locks (and inlines); What will you do when you run out of caps?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've made many flintlock rifles and enjoy them immensely. Working on several now and a well tuned flinter is a joy to shoot and very fast. But nobody back in the day went back to a flintlock after 1830 or so. The Hawken brothers were selling their caplock rifles to mountain men in the 1830s and only made a small number if flintlocks--all bespoke guns. They got caps for their rifles in the wilderness in 1830 just fine. Dixie fun works and the possible shop will bring them to your door by the gross for not much dough....lol

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Primers?

Sorry, percussion caps #11

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, one entire group of flint users refused to use cap locks until they were forced into it in about 1874; the Native customers of the Hudson's Bay Company. Northwest Trade Guns were made in flintlock exclusively until the company could no longer obtain flint locks and the makers in England told them to force the Indians to buy cap locks. This scenario is well documented in Hudson's Bay company correspondence.
I have built them; they are a standard NW Trade Gun, only with an Enfield percussion lock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you priced #11's lately?

If not, take a look at PVI's prices.
Have a roll of TP handy, you'll need it!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is exactly why the Native Americans did not want cap locks; caps were too expensive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine two sights, that would bother me to no end, its just not cricket!! chappie! barf

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41762 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote