Find
Notify
Tools

54 Kodiak Double Firing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Working this fall with my 54 Kodiak double rifle, it was giving me misfires; I put musket nipples on it as they are easier to handle and are hotter. Same reason the army used them.
But misfires are not good, and I have never had one before, and I have been shooting muzzle loaders since 1968.
I checked the nipples; internal hole was .018. WAY too small.
So I drilled them out to .045. (normal is about .035 but I wanted to make sure).
Took it to the range today;
Result; 100% positive ignition now with 80 grains of Goex ffg.
Once in a while it will blow the cap off, but I prefer perfect ignition so that doesn't bother me.
BTW, I still want another .58; I had one and stupidly sold it. I have a set of new 50 caliber barrels that I will trade.
OH, and it shoots into two inches at 50 yards. Lucky because they came with two sights; one for each barrel.

Posts: 13137 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that later ones came with 2 rear sights, I guess to appease those complaining about the lack of regulation with a single rear sight. They sound like fun guns!

Posts: 18304 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 72 cal Kodiak Safari grade double rifle ...120 gr. 2F ... .710 pure lead patched round ball ( 550 gr. )

I also have two rear sights , but use my right sight for 50-100 yards and my left sight for beyond 100 ... regulation is not to bad ,and they are fun to shoot ..

Not bad off the bench , because the gun is heavy.. they go thru a lot of powder :-)

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1024 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
72 cal....that's 12 bore, right? Big slug!

Posts: 18304 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very close
12 guage is .729 dia. 585 grain( 1.3 oz ) slug .

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1024 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote