ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Someone to work on an original Pennsylvania rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone to work on an original Pennsylvania rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I have a .36 cal Pennsylvania rifle that has been passed down through our family. It apparently started out life as a flintlock around 1820 and got converted to percussion. My grandfather (born 1902) provided me with quite a bit of the family history on it. It has markings on it of "Eagle Rifle Works Philadelphia' and I've done research on them.

'Original condition' was lost long ago as there was water damage to the stock a century ago and a 6th grader (me) decades ago opted to try his hand on refinishing the stock. A more talented person properly restored it's finish on the outside and the bore cleaned up pretty good.

So now I'm looking for somebody competent and reliable to do some work on the lock (springs?) and some of the wood underneath the sideplate.
Not looking for a museum quality restoration just somebody that knows what they are doing on such things.

I would like to get it functional as I would like to shoot it. Yes, I'm very much aware of the safety issues and will address them.

Can anybody refer me to somebody?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd post the question on a traditional muzzleloading forum, such as:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum....bb/portal/index.php?

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Good call Don. I posted over there and got linked up. Thanks!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
http://www.bertramandco.com
Steve did work on my Alex Henry and it turned out great!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
You might try Pete Mazer in Grass Valley, California.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3816 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monte Mandarino!!!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
Monte Mandarino!!!

I thought Monte retired from doing gunwork years ago?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monte retired from doing "public" gun work years ago! I have a good friend who lives about 25 minutes from me that does top notch restoration work, his name is Steve Zihn.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote