Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel K3 Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
About ready to order one of these and had pretty much settled on 7X65R, then stupidly started thinking about resale - has anyone had any ejection issues with rimless cases with these rifles?

Thanks!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at the Merkel website and can not tell if the K3 has an ejector or an extractor. I have a K1 in 7mm Rem. Mag that has an extractor, and I have had no issues with it. It is also quite accurate. The load I have settle on is the 175 gr. Nosler at about 3700 fps. I know it is possible to get more velocity, but it is accurate and none of the animals I shot seem to notice the difference.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
My bad; I meant extraction not ejection (the K3 has an extractor). I was curious about any difficulties with extraction for rimless cartridges.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
posted Hide Post
My typing skills are not the best. I meant to say the load I use in the K1 7mm Rem are at 2700 fps, not 3700. I wanted a 7x65R but found the 7mm Rem. at a price I could not pass up. I even have 7x65R dies. Good luck what ever caliber you choose. They are fun rifles.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have a K1 in 7mm RM and have had no problems at all with the extraction. I don’t think you should concern yourself at all with that one.

On the other hand if the rifle isn’t grouping sub 1”, the problem is likely on you. Smiler My K1 is stupid accurate...but light as a feather and that takes some real work to hold steady.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Blaser K95 a few weeks ago in 300 Win Mag. It has a very similar tilting block and barrel extension past the breech as the Merkel. I have quite thin fingers and I did find it quite fiddly to extract an empty cartridge, especially when I needed to get a second shot off quickly. You have to get your fingers in under the scope and the tilting block and pinch the empty between the thumb and fore finger to get it out over the extractor detent.

And this was in August when it was nice and warm in the Austrian Alps. Would hate to try and use it in the snow - you would have to take gloves off to reload.

I have combination in 7x65R. To get the empty out a simple twist of the wrists and the empty falls out. You can also shake towards you and the same happens. Or you easily remove it by hand.

I would default to a rimmed cartridge, unless rimmed cartridges are really unavailable to you.

Posts: 980 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
I used a Blaser K95 a few weeks ago in 300 Win Mag. It has a very similar tilting block and barrel extension past the breech as the Merkel. I have quite thin fingers and I did find it quite fiddly to extract an empty cartridge, especially when I needed to get a second shot off quickly. You have to get your fingers in under the scope and the tilting block and pinch the empty between the thumb and fore finger to get it out over the extractor detent.

And this was in August when it was nice and warm in the Austrian Alps. Would hate to try and use it in the snow - you would have to take gloves off to reload.

I have combination in 7x65R. To get the empty out a simple twist of the wrists and the empty falls out. You can also shake towards you and the same happens. Or you easily remove it by hand.

I would default to a rimmed cartridge, unless rimmed cartridges are really unavailable to you.

This is what had me concerned - you went straight to the point. Thanks for the input!

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am confused - why does one want a single shot rifle and then the ability to quickly reload?

My single shots I use for hunting are to precisely have a single shot. I don’t shoot till I have very confidence I only need (and have) a single shot.

Kind of like black powder in A modern rifle.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have a K3 in 30-06. No issues with the extractor or unloading and reloading. A bit of practice on the range or with snap caps and you will develop a technique that works for you.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The challenge with a break action and a rimless cartridge is the it just relies on a small spring detent to extract the cartridge to the height of the extractor. It has to be strong to get the initial extraction. Then yo have hold the cartridge head and pull it out.

It works, but if your fingers are cold and wet its going to be difficult.

You do get used to it, but a rimmed cartridge is so so much easier.

On the same trip I was also using a Blaser Bock drilling, with a 222 barrel on the side. This had a similar extractor and with the 222 it was a bit fiddly. And on one occasion the extractor actually jumped over the cartridge head. Had to remove extractor and push case out with a rod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And choice of 7x65r is a good one. With a ballistically effecient 140gn bullet its flat shooting. With mine with a 4cm high zero at 100m i am ringing the 4” kill zone on Roebuck target on our 235 yard range with every shot with a just high of centre hold and a 6x scope.

And with this rifle I have shot everything from foxes, roe to big reds and large wild boar. On the latter i use 173gn H mantle bullets (a partition style) and these absolutely flatten them. Yet my daughter when 13 was happy shooting this rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as "resale value' goes, why not use what YOU want to use? I personally would not want a single shot stalking rifle chambered for a rimless cartridge. Rimmed cartridges are made for single shots for a very good reason. They work better! Ease of loading /extraction, and pair with a simpler extractor mechanism. Anybody preferring rimless cartridges in a break action single shot are welcome to their opinion, but most are simply going with what is familiar to them, or defining their rifle around cheap / easily available ammo, not looking for for what is best. Rimless ammo in a fine European break action single shot is a compromise, so why not choose the best?

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 7 different Merkel Rifles,

K1's in 222 Rem, 7-08, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 9.3 x 74R

K3's in 270 Win & 308 Win.

Only the 9.3 x 74R was a rimmed cartridge.

I've had no issues with extraction what-so-ever with any of my Merkels.

Merkel K1's 9.3 x 74R, half stock, Jagd Stutzen, 7mm-08

K3 Jagd Stutzen, 308 Win.

K1, 222 Rem.

Merkel k3 Extrem, 270 Win.

Merkel K1, 9.3 x 74R

Merkel K1 Jagd Stutzen, 7mm-08

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote