Find
Notify
Tools

Black Powder in Ruger #1 45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
Does anyone use black powder in their #1 45-70s? If so, what are your loads? Merry Christmas, Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Dr,
The Ruger 45/70 has a 1:22" barrel with very shallow rifling compared to say a Pedersoli Sharps. It's barrel is also rather short in length so that BP has limited burn time before the bullet exits the muzzle.
The only load that works in mine is a 350gn GC RCBS with 62gn Swiss #2 (FFFG) or the Lyman 457193 (420gn plain base) with the same powder charge.
Alloy will need to be 1:20 to avoid stripping in the rifling. I could never get any of the 500gn+ bullets to shoot a hoot!

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Bad Ass, thanks for the note. After more research, I think I will stick with smokeless powder. Lou

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I use the Ruger for hunting wild boar but I bought some real rifles including the top one a 50/90, for BP shooting

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
That's a nice collection. Regards, Lou

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Does anyone use black powder in their #1 45-70s? If so, what are your loads? Merry Christmas, Lou

Yep. I used 65 grains of Swiss FFg with the Lyman 457122HP bullet as-cast of pure lead with a WonderWad on top of the powder (did NOT size or lube the bullet). Case was Remington Nickel plated (easier to wash up after).

This load is accurate, and has a MV in my No. 1S 22" barrel of 1340 FPS. Note that these bullets are PURE LEAD, untempered by the addition of tin, etc., AND I have NOT experienced any leading or stripping when using a Wonder Wad on top of the powder charge.....

I think it would work well as a deer load up to 100 yards or so.

I found that 45 grains of IMR 4064 with the same bullet and wad combo duplicates the performance of the BP load exactly, minus the smoke & smell.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one likes the smoke&smell but has a gun with the wrong rifling, why not use jacketed bullets? I am sure it has been tried.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote