THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Holy crap, what a great concept!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy crap, what a great concept!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Sorry, but I'm going to be the bad guy here.....that pistol grip looks terrible and the picatinny rail just doesnt belong, it would look better with a straight grip.....just my personal opinion.
....didn't Selous use a Farquarson? I would have thought that a Ruger No.1 would have made a better "Selous" rifle stir

Roger

One has to wonder why they would call it a Courtenay instead of a Selous. Courtenay could be anybody, probably a woman. Big Grin

If so, it would be spelled Kourtney. And the butt would be even bigger.

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
What an abomination! Looks like an NEF handi-rifle and a Ruger #3 had an affair at Roy Weatherbys house and this was the offspring.

HAHAHA! I was trying to think of the right way to put, and this quote nailed it...

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm past the looks thing. What rifling twist is it? For the 215 gr RN? Or just make a 450-400, or 375 H&H? Or my favorite the 358 Winchester? Thanks for the info BillinOregon. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll keep my 30-40 Krag Highwall, thank you. or my Ruger no 1s in 303 British and 9.3X74R.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it. Can get it with a standard quarter rib. Read specs.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it, the prince of whales grip is beyond the knowledge of so many on here apparantly, its the ultimate in classic.. sofa

I see it as a well laid out gun, with an easy to modify quarter rib to a 3 or 4 flip up useless iron sights but they are classic and pretty and you can sight the one standing 3" high at 100 and be good to hunt with, but I have sighted all 4 in for 100 to 400 with a file and bingo they work much better than some seem to think, I wonder how many here have atually filed a 4 flip sight, Once you get the one standing sighted in at 100, the the other 3 are much easier, but warning easier is a state of mind!! rotflmo I had to know! faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Orchards Ace Hardware in Loveland Colorado has one of these on the rack. It’s not as bad looking in person, but the comb is so low that I look at the back of the hammer when I shoulder it. No thanks.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill,
My congratulations on a post that stirred up so much comment by so many people.

I must agree with dpcd, who said something like "if you dont like it, do not buy it. (or comment on it.)

I had seen ads/descriptions on this rifle and ignored them because my interests lie elsewhere.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill,
In all fairness, my main reason for my lack of interest may be that I have already met my needs for a "stalking rifle". In fact, I have three of them, one each for small game, entry level big game, and large and dangerous game as follows:
Small game- Winchester Model 61 .22 pump used since a teenager. Grandson shooting it.

Big Game- 1953 Winchester Model 70 FWT .308 owned for 40+ years

Large and dangerous Game - Winchester 1895 .405 WCF for last 15 years:

They are all Winchesters! Could I be in a rut?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I successfully kept my opinions off this thread when it first came out and even when it was brought up again last summer.

JMHO,
This shouldn't be a hammer gun, it looks cheap.
The stock is shaped wrong, it should have a lot less drop at the comb and heel.
The proportions of the for end don't look correct, maybe a splinter shape with an ebony tip would be better
There is way too much checkering coverage on the fore end.
Since they went with a barrel band sling swivel, I feel that they should have used a banded front sight.
I also think that the rib is too tall, why make it taller than the top of the receiver?
I do like the color case hardening and the lever is acceptable.
The red recoil pad and the wood looks nice

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Wow, I guess Uberti needs to go back in its hole and quit trying.

Don't worry about it Bill! There is absolutely nothing wrong with that rifle except that I don't have one!

>>>>>>> Guess we are both just old enough to remember hunting with such rifles as kids sixty or so years ago!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Lee440

You forgot to add a Browning Auto 5 into that circle jerk at Mr Weatherbys.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

Have you seen the article on this rifle in the new Jan./Feb. 2021 issue of RIFLESHOOTER magazine?

As nice as it is, I prefer the Ruger No.1 for my tastes. I have many No.1s, but none can beat the wood on the one you sold me in 9.3x74R.

Thanks again!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote