New
Find
Notify
Tools

1874 Sharps Old Reliable
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any history information on the Sharps/ Shiloh Sharps / Old Reliable 1874 pattern
made in Pennsylvania before the 2 companies split and moved to Montana. I have a low SN# gun in 45-70 with octagon bbl. and cut Ballard rifling. Any
history on the company before the split and the Pa.
manufacture would help. Thanks

Tetonka
DRSS
Various Ruger #1s and one old Sharps(Repro)

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it is a Shiloh? The early rifles were all marked "Farmingdale, New York".

The move that brought Wolf Droege to Big Timber, MT, when he partnered with John Schoffstall(sp?) resulted in that address on the barrel. The split with Schoffstall was over pricing, and who got how much of the $$$.

I own both marked Shiloh locations, and had two of the Bryant iterations, serial number pre-fix "B", so I am pretty sure about it.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Rich.. I'll dig the safe queen out
and be much more specific about the barrel markings
and SN#, I have visited both shops in Big Timber some time ago and got little help. They both were
interested in selling new rifles, not identifying
an old one, even if it be one of theirs.

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is true...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote