Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No.1 Calibers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted
Anyone have an idea what the calibers are going to be for 2015?

I managed to get my hands on a 450/400 that was made available again this year. Hoping they make a 300H&H available again, or otherwise the 9.3x74R, which to me would make much more sense in a single shot than the rimless 9.3x62 version. What calibre are you hoping for?

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Same as you 9.3x74R, a 30-40 Krag would be great and a 405 WCF.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saugerties Outfitters has a 300 H&H in stock and several others.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/B...ncludeSellers=225410

I'm not connected to the store.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
Saugerties Outfitters has a 300 H&H in stock and several others.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/B...ncludeSellers=225410

I'm not connected to the store.

They have an RSI in 257R that looks great.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12539 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,t know why I want one in 450/400, but I do. One in 300 H&H would get my attention, 6.5x55 would probably be the start of another slush fund..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338-74 Keith

OK, so I'm dreaming.

Elmer Keith would have been proud.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about the same thing. Would really love a 9,3x74R Don't know if any of these made it to South Africa with the previous run...

Bought a 45-70 and 450/400 this year. I was very luck to get my hands on a 300H&H a couple of years a ago. (my favourite) This Ruger No. 1 addiction started with a 7x57 RSI I bought in 2002.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I had thought about building a 8x57R or a 30R Blaser.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a 30R Blaser would be great!

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I have a custom in 50/110 with a long rather heavy barrel.
I would think this would be a popular chambering which can be loaded to whatever the owner would want without being a full blown 500NE. Would be a great thumping gun even with a 22-24" barrel.
Maybe a combined effort with Hornady to make the ammo. That would be nice.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to see 26" barreled 1-S' in 06', 7x57, 280, 6.5x55, 257 Rob, and the list could go on and on. Just love the 26" 1-S.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Has Ruger ever put a number one in 6.5x55?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they made the 6.5x55 in both stainless/walnut and blue/walnut.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
What year(s) what model? Ruger never chambered a 6.5 x 55 mm before 1998. I wouldn't mind having one in a “S” model.
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Yes, they made the 6.5x55 in both stainless/walnut and blue/walnut.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought mine in Aug. 2007 in stainless/walnut. I'm pretty sure this is the same year that they came out with it, as my gun dealer always calls me with anything "new" on the market. Some time later, they came out with the blue model. I held one in my hands and really considered buying it too, but I passed. They were both the 1-A model with 22" barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a Ruger No.1 I prefer the flanged cartridges. A 300 H&H Flanged would be my first choice as a general purpose rifle.
The 9.3x74 is also a good choice but for Africa every bit of extra power is better so my vote goes to 375 H&H Flanged.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own an original H&H falling block in .30 flanged. I loved it but it is pretty much a handload only proposition. Great round for medium sized game though.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 35 Winchester would be different.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A 1-S Model with 26" Barrel in .318 Westley Richards or a .333 Jeffery.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
SKB - I always like seeing that rifle. Smiler

I'd buy a new one if they came out with a decent .35 caliber magnum. No, not the .350 Rem Mag. I'm talking 358 Norma, 350 Griffin & Howe, or 350 Rigby Mag. Of those, I would prefer the 350 G&H.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,
I could build you one in any .35 caliber you like. A PD action, built in any house style you so desire. But I would go for the Rigby naturally. I have a reamer in the shop and an action on the way. Always happy to make someones British single shot dream a reality, or did you mean a Ruger? I did kinda highjack this gentleman's thread and for that I apologize.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion. Tempting offer -- but I meant the Ruger.

I'd buy a new RUGER No.1 if they came out with a decent .35 caliber magnum. No, not the .350 Rem Mag. I'm talking 358 Norma, 350 Griffin & Howe, or 350 Rigby Mag. Of those, I would prefer the 350 G&H.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I thought the stainless to wood 6.5x55 was a special order from one of the bigger gun sellers. A special edition to that seller only. I dont think Ruger ever sold a 6.5x55 in a regular standard production rifle directly from Ruger, could be wrong...it has only happened once before that I know of. Wink Cant remember who the retailer was...Lipsy?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think the stainless/walnut was a special order, perhaps from Lipseys? You asked if Ruger ever made a No.1 in 6.5x55. They did, no matter who put in the order.

Before the 6.5x55, Ruger also made a 257 Roberts in stainless/walnut. It might have been Lipsey's special order again, but of course, again, Ruger made it. I did not buy one of these.

Finally, they came out with the 35 Whelen in stainless/walnut, and later, brought it out in blue/walnut also. I bought 'several' of these models.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a 1A in .338 06 ?

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Kind of a side comment but here it is.

About 10 years ago, at a Phoenix gun show, I met one of the big guns at Ruger. I forget his name and have lost his card but he was a neat guy and easy to talk with.

I asked him about Ruger #1's and he told me that, at that time, they were only producing about a dozen #1's per week. No demand and with no demand, there was no R&D for upgrades (the #1 has not been upgraded to any degree since it's late 1960's introduction). I think Ruger was only keeping it going to honor Bill's wishes.

With the introduction of the niche market calibers between 2000 and 2010, there was some revitalization but these calibers such as 9.3x74R, 450/400 3", .416 Rigby, etc., are and will always be low volume.

So my belief is that current production life of the Ruger #1 is circling the drain.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Someone had a nice Ruger #1 450/400 3" in the classifieds awhile ago. Price was great. Check it out.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote