THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else hunt with a single shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting with a single shot for about 3 years now. I have 2 No. 1's. A stainless 45/70 which has yet to draw blood and a Craig Boddington African series 300H&H that has become one of my very favorite rifles.

The 300H&H has taken 3 Baboons, 1 Giant Leopard, 3 Whitetail bucks, feral pig, Warthog, Hyena, Black Wildebeast, Bleasbuck, and 1 Zebra. Topped with a 3X9 Trijicon, it is my go to gun for non-dangerous game.

Here are a few pics from the rifle's exploits:

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPF3IfSKM28

Ruger #1 in .280 Remington

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Todd - nice animals taken with a great classic caliber!
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted for a couple years with a T/C Encore Rifle in .30-06. Prior to that I have hunted since 1982 with Single Shot T/C Contender or Remington XP-100 Handguns.

Larry

posted Hide Post

My buck from last week, with a H&R 158 in 30-30

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I was heavily into Encores a few years ago and have started hunting with a single shot again. I have a custom Encore in 9.3x74r and a newly acquired Blaser K95 in 30-06.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Here are a few of the more recent single shot kills I've been fortunate enough to make:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
From earlier this morning:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bobby, you're the best.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Hey Bobby I'm CC from Greybeards that is a nice coyote. Smiler

Jeff that has to be one of the nicest looking Encores I have ever seen.

I am totally into Contender carbines and have been thinking about getting into Encores as well.

I would like a 20" - 22" 375H&H barrel and load 250gr TTSX @ 2650fps this will give me performance appr 1/2 between my 21" barreled 375JDJ Contender carbine = 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps and my 21" Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM = 260gr Accubonds @ 3020fps.

Where did you get the stocks?

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always loved single shots have been hunting with them for 41 years.Ruger#1/Browning 78&1885/Martini/Zoli and real muzzle loaders.Calibers from 218 Mashburn,223,22-250,243,6mm284,270,7mmRem Mag,338Win Mag,45-70 to458Win Mag.I've taken Whitetail,Blacktail,Bighorn,Pronghorn,Varmits,Kudu,Zebra,Oryx,Hartebeeste,Impala,Warthog,Cape Buffalo.They make you a better shot and hunter.It all comes down to shot placement.Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
been using single shots since 1972 for most of my hunting... started with a Contender in 22 Hornet, and a 41 Mag both 14" barrels...

I have since gotten into the Encore long guns... presently have 2 actions, one dedicated to a super accurate 26"bbl 22 K-Hornet and the other action sporting either a 22-250, 280AI, 375 H&H, or 45-70...

genius by birth... slacker by choice...

Posts: 5 | Location: Sneads Ferry, NC, USA... | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Browning B-78 .45/70 in 1976 2 days before Thanksgiving. Friday after Thanksgiving I killed my first buck with it, which was the last game I took using a factory load. That rifle has accounted for more pounds of meat in the freezer than any other I have and, with the exception of the first, all with cast or paper patch bullets. It just plain works!
A couple of weeks ago, I got a new Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57. I have worked up a handload and will try to find a nice whitetail for it to draw first blood.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I hunted witha Ruger #1B for a few years it was a nice shooting rifle.

I now have a .3040Krag in a Ruger #3 that is alot lighter to handle, It too shoots well.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Encore rifles and handguns, Ruger #1s, and a Savage varmint single shot.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted big game with the Savage 219 in 30-30 and 22 Hornet: Owned several old Winchester Hi walls back in the days when they didn't have much collector value, one in a 38-55 and the other a 45-70. Owned more than a few Ruger no. 1s over the years and I really like them, my favorite was a No.1 FWT in 7x57, it was a fine saddle gun. I've always liked single shots, but in reality there are better choices, especially for DG..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Single shots can be handy little rifles. I have an H&R Topper in 22 hornet. Real handy little yard rifle. Cleans up skunks and the occasional coyote who gets a little too gutsy and comes right into the yard. Have a Baikal single shot in 7.62x54. Once I got the trigger smoothed up this thing really shoots. With ballistics between a 308 & 30-06 what else can you ask for? This is a handy little rifle to sit in a tree stand with. To reach out and touch something my Ruger # 1 in 300 Wby is great. With no magazine to worry about bullets can be seated out to get a little closer to the rifling even with all that freebore. This thing groups 180 gr TSX's or TTSX's into tiny little groups. One of these is usually enough.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
22KHornet,
Who made your 26" K Hornet barrel?

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt with my bull barreled H&R Ultra in 308. Here it is with two northern California blacktails shot running together. It took three shots in heavy timber in a canyon. Only shot the third time because the three point's head was propped against a tree and I thought he was sitting up.

Now it has had the stock trimmed up for a shorter length of pull, a new pad added and the barrel cut and recrowned for my 12 yo daughter.

This is kinda sad, but i miss the old thing even though I traded up to my new custom 6.5X55

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi 333. Man that's a wee beauty your 6.5x55. I would be very happy to have such a rifle. If you tire of it I'd be vey happy to take it off your hands. Smiler
Nice deer too, terrible hat Wink

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
Hi 333. Man that's a wee beauty your 6.5x55. I would be very happy to have such a rifle. If you tire of it I'd be vey happy to take it off your hands. Smiler
Nice deer too, terrible hat Wink

OMG the hat....I was a guide on that ranch. The clients would not hunt during the day or more than 100 yards from the truck. I was allowed to fill my tags as well, so I went to where the clients refused to hunt at nap time during the day, and shot these two.....the hat was a requirement of the Ranch. We all got nice shiny new ones every year and had to wear them! Could not hunt without on on your head! No kidding!

The 6.5X55 has a 15 1/4 LOP for the stock. Shoots nearly 1 inch groups at 100 yards, but is also nearly ten pounds.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This deer season I used my Winchester 1885 high-wall "Safari" in 375H&H exclusively. I was able to take a doe and an 8-point.

If anyone was wondering, a 270gr Hornady SP out of a 28" barrel appears to have ample stopping power for NC white tail deer.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only crazy person that liked to hunt with a single shot. I got the biggest mulie of my hunting years with .280 Remington.If I knew how to post pictures I would post it here?

Posts: 8 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I used to love it...now after I finish my build up for military target shooting, I will build another on a single shot Ruger #3 that I have in 30-40 Krag....it had the buttstock ran over by a pickup...that will teach him to rest it on the tire.

Problems...ugly barrel and front site and ugly lever...don't even think a factory buttstock is going on it with that 10/22 buttplate!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Here's one more. Last year in Argentina.

Same old Gibbs-Farquharson.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I tried hunting with this as a challenge. I am so big and it is sooooooooooo tiny. I shot a little cottontail and went home happy. It was my sixth shot of the day! I wish I had a camera that day.

J. Stevens New Model Pocket Rifle, No. 40

BBL: 10 inch part octagon
Stock: Wire
Gauge: 22 LR
Finish: blue/nickel
Grips: walnut

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I've had and hunted with single shot rifles and shotguns most of my life...R#1, Contenders and Encores, NEF, Sharps, Win 22 cal with the big cocking button on the back of the bolt, XP-100 pistols, single shot bolt guns and one rifle with a wooden block carved to fit and shoved up the magazine well to replace the lost clip.

One thing is certain, learning to shoot with a single shot makes you concentrate on distance, weather conditions and bullet placement...none of this "spray and pray" BS...not to mention peer pressure and the looks you get from Dad and uncles OR even Mom and aunts when you do good OR bad.

Luck

posted Hide Post
Last year in KZN I shot a zebra, nyala and a commom reedbuck with a Ruger #1 in .303 British. Used 215 gr. woodleighs for the nyala and zebra and 180 core-locs for the reedbuck.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Wilkerson:
Last year in KZN I shot a zebra, nyala and a commom reedbuck with a Ruger #1 in .303 British. Used 215 gr. woodleighs for the nyala and zebra and 180 core-locs for the reedbuck.

I love the use of such a classic cartridge....I always wanted a 333 Rimmed Jeffery....It uses the same slugs as my Springfield in 333 OKH.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Here's one more. Last year in Argentina.

Same old Gibbs-Farquharson.

Those actions are as sexy as a single shot will ever be. I doubt there is another single shot I like more?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The tradition of single shots is being picked up by our twins, both of whom used a little Contender in 7mm Bullberry to harvest their very first bucks. Here are also a couple of recent bobcats I was fortunate enough to take.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Great job Bobby! I wish I would have had a single shot first before my 30-30 Win and then the 25-06...I now have this perfect little 219 Savage 30-30....might be the best lil deer gun for thickets I have ever seen.

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
I killed these five pigs this afternoon with my Luxus Model 11 in 223. I shot them at ranges from 125 to 250 yards. It was a great minute of shooting as they ran in circles in an over grown pecan grove where I have a ladder stand. The gun has a great trigger and shoots really well on paper and on pork. The action is smooth and repeat shots were easy to get off.

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Like the action on your gun, and those are nice little porkers....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plans are never in concrete; but my gunsmith just finished one of Tom Ondrus' Wickliffe actions in a heavy 45-120 (think 450 Nitro Express 3.25" case) for me. Every time I look over at it I get to thinking more and more that it is going to RSA this April with me. Eland and Zebra on the list, and my little TCR-83 in 30-06 for everything else.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to get my encore rifle shooting right. once I do, I will be very excited to hunt with it.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more since the original post! dancing

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Eskimo36 and GWB-

NICELY DONE!!! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep telling myself Im going to buy a Remington Rolling Block in 7x57mm with a 30" barrel and hunt deer with it, but havent gotten around to doing it yet.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Some very nice photos by all.

I have taken a pronghorn with my K95, and a little forky horned mulie with my Ruger #1 in 45-70.

I went through a phase on Encores where I hated them, but really I just hated the plastic stocks that would crack under the stress of a 308. I am slowly rebuilding the stocks of barrels again.

I ordered some stocks similar to Bobby's hopefully mine look as good. Ordered a blue one, and a wood mannlicher one. I did the unfinished model.

I think i'll get MGA to build me a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and maybe one in 9.3x74R to go with the 405 WCF, 338 Winchester, and 6mm BR barrels I ordered. Kind of getting excited about it again.

Does anyone use Talley mounts on their Encore barrels?

How do you like them?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote