New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning LowWall 260 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a couple Browning Low Walls in a trade; one is a .223 Rem and the other is a .260 Rem. I have heard rumor that the Low Wall in .260 has a slow twist and does not like 140 grain or heavier bullets. Before I start buying components, does anyone have any experience with a good load for this rifle?

Thank you

Posts: 26 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 26 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find out about the twist as it seems many want to turn it into a varmint gun !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of 120-130 grain bullets that will work great on deer; I would hate to make this a varminter, that's what the .223 is for. Once the weather finally betters up here in Maine (we had a foot of snow today and the other night was still sub-zero) I'll have to try some 140 factory loads.

Thanks

Posts: 26 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 26 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were you I wouldn't even bother trying it. Terrible gun, you just won't like it. I will buy it off you for your price just so you don't have to waste your time and energy! I have wanted one of those for forever. I hope you love it!...But if you don't, let me know.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LD, take care of the Low Wall in 260. They sell for about double what that rifle sells for in the other calibers. Not many of them made.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky If you plan to hunt with it pick up some 125 gr Partitions and W760 powder. You might be surprized at what you could stop with that combination.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler 125 Partitions sound like a a good idea.; they would handle most anything I would use a 6.5 for. I'll have to measure the rate of twist myself, research has some sources saying 1 in 9 others show 1 in 10.

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Lucky,

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I have a .260 LW as well.

I'm running a book max load of IMR 4350 and the Hornaday 140 spire point Interlock bullet.

Accuracy is good. I've run it out to 200 yards and not seen any issues with not stabilizing.

That said, I use the 129 Interlock for all my hunting. I have two elk kills with a single shot apiece.

Bullets in the 125 - 130 range are probably the most useful all around projectiles for the mid size 6.5's.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Why not just measure the twist and find out for sure?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote