New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA Martini Cadet 32-20
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several years ago I bought a Cadet that was supposedly re-chambered in 32-20. The 32-20 brass has to shortened by approximately 3/16 inch.

Is this normal? I've read that quite a few of these rifles were modified for 32-20.

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your rifle may not have been rechambered at all.
I'd say a chamber cast is in order.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as the previous poster alluded to , the chamber may not be a true 32/20. while having the chamber cast also have the bore slugged. it was common to rechamber the original 310 chambering to 32/20. depending on who did the work, determines how well it was done and what you actually have.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've encountered two that were stamped .32-20 when in fact all that was done was to deepen the rim recess to accept standard American .32-20 rims. (.310 rims are much thinner.) Thus allowing for use of .32-20 brass to make .310 ammo without having to go through the hassle of also thinning the .32-20 brass from the top side. (Can't just shave that much off the face of the case head, the primer pocket would be too shallow then) At least that's my take on it.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
I've encountered two that were stamped .32-20 when in fact all that was done was to deepen the rim recess to accept standard American .32-20 rims. (.310 rims are much thinner.) Thus allowing for use of .32-20 brass to make .310 ammo without having to go through the hassle of also thinning the .32-20 brass from the top side. (Can't just shave that much off the face of the case head, the primer pocket would be too shallow then) At least that's my take on it.

It turns out that my rifle is one where the .310 cadet reamer was run in a little deeper to work with 32-20 brass. My trimmed case length is just a bit longer than than for the cadet case. The fired case inner diameter at the mouth is about .326. I've been loading the 170 gr bullets for the 32 winchester cartridge.

The link below provides extensive info on the cadet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.co...ore-Cadet-Talk/page1

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a wall hanger I have. A Winchester 1903 win 22 Win. My boys bought it for me for my birthday years ago not knowing that 22 win is NOT 22 L.R.I did'nt say a word,just thanked them.The 22 Win worked for Ad Tupperwein in his shooting expo but then at that time it was state of the art;still is in one respect,that the model 63 rose out of the ashes.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote