Find
Notify
Tools

#1 international, .270 ?s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been sitting on a little cash,
as you may remember I was looking at a #1 in 300Win. But , today I found a #1 international in .270. Its in good shape and has a junk scope, but at least the rings are there.
The price is 625.00, and that seems prety good to me.
A few Questions,
#1 Is this rifle likly to shoot any where near s good as it looks ?
#2 Any problem puting the hicks unit in the for arm of the international, ?(is there enough wood?)
#3 Would you think it would be dificult to find a load for this rifle with or with out the hicks ,that would shoot 3 rounds into say 1.5 inches at 100 yards ?
Apreciate you opinions.
...tj3006

freedom1st

posted Hide Post
TJ,
I have the #1 RSI in 7X57. The only work it required was some relief work to remove pressure from the metal forend cap which may have been causing vertical stringing. It will now consistently put the first 2 shots into 3/4 in. and the 3rd opens the group to 1.2 in. Certainly don't need more than that in such a sweet little rifle. After that the thin little barrel heats up quickly. The hicks might work but it will require more work than a standard No1. That price seems to be about what I paid new about 2 years ago. Good luck in your decision
Mike

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
I have a .270 International and it is my favorite deer rifle. It has a 2x7 Leupold scope and is a great shooter with every factory load I have tried as well as my reloads. Didn't need anything done.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 7 x 57 RSI is soooo sweet. I dismantled it and hand stoned every surface, removed burrs, etc, and it is smooth as silk. Other than this and trigger adjustment, it is untouched. It shoots very well, three shots under an inch nearly every time. DO NOT disassemble this rifle without a manual.

I attribute the accuracy to the short, fat, stiff barrel. I think Ruger just cuts about 5 inches off the standard barrels. I also think the 7 is a better match than the 270 for the barrel. Mine likes 140 and 150 grainers, but shoots 175's acceptably.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 7X57 in the international would be sweet.
But I think a .270 would be fine also.(a 6.5x55 would be really cool).
If I could find one in the ligyt weight in any caliber other than .243(I already have 2 of those in bolts) I think I would prefer that, but I will think about the 270 I think its been in the shp quite q while so mabye I could get it for a little less. ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I love my two number 1's and I love the looks of the international but my experiance in the past with Mannlicher stacks on several bolt action rifles has been that they change point of impact on a regular basis.
Have any of you had this problem with the number 1 rsi.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
my .270 has held the same zero for about 15 years with the 130 gr bullet.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My RSI is very stable, perhaps because of the stiff, short barrel.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Of the 7 No 1's I have the RSI has been no more finicky then the others, and with the thin short barrel actually less particular then the No 1 V I have. You take your chances, but there are more variables with a RSI.
Mike

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
I love my two number 1's and I love the looks of the international but my experiance in the past with Mannlicher stacks on several bolt action rifles has been that they change point of impact on a regular basis.
Have any of you had this problem with the number 1 rsi.

My Mannlicher-Schoenauer .270 carbine fullstock, 20" barrel, held the same zero for 20 years. But the forend had the barrel channel relieved from 2" in front of the receiver ring all the way out to the muzzle cap, AND the forend sling screw lug on the barrel band was filed larger so the cross screw went through without touching the hole in the lug...... The barrel was free to expand as it heated without any restrictions.

When I lived in Germany and dealt with German gunsmiths alot, I found some who absolutely refused to make Mannlicher-style fullstocks due to point-of-impact shift from stock warpage, and some who would make such stocks, but cut the forends off ahead of the receiver ring, then "keyed" them on to an underlug on the bottom of the barrel (like a PA longrifle) so any forend warpage would have little or no effect on point of impact. I don't know how well this arrangement worked, but it could be done in an attractive manner.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
My 243 RSI does under inch factory, better with my loads.

TJ, I Suggested to Ruger to do some 6.5mm's i.e. x55 and 260 on the #1, esp. the RSI and 1A.

Keep our fingers crossed! I will buy one if they come out.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
By the way, at the SHOT show this week, Ruger was 'taking notes' as they are interested in hearing what people want....imagine that, far different than how Rem. acted!

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote