New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for some one that can checker a stock for me. I am working on a Dutch Mannlicher in the British style in 6.5x53R and would like the pattern to be in the style used on the early rifles.
I can scare up some photos of what I would like but no idea what costs I am going to incur.
This is the stock I am working on. The stock is English walnut.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some absolutely outstanding checkerers posting on this site, but I think many of them prefer to do it only if they do the whole stock job.

If you don't find somebody here check with Ahlman's in Minnesota. I believe they still do checkering and will checker almost any stock.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
I have used Tim Smith Lyons 3 times and had excellent service, and he does not care who does the stock. Takes a deposit but will not cash the check until he starts your project.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Tim Smith Lyon twice- will not again. Both times he used smaller patterns than requested and the stocks come back smelling like an ashtray. b

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will want flat top checkering. That will thin the herd out a lot because it's unforgiving and you can't use a powered tool.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
You will want flat top checkering. That will thin the herd out a lot because it's unforgiving and you can't use a powered tool.

Yup! And bring your pocket book.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson has a neighbor girl that does his checkering and she is awesome..I used her while my hand was in a cast, outstanding and fast. She doesn't even use a cradle she does it on a towell in her lap Im told..absolutely no flaws, none..any pattern and not expensive..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

Actually....I use a power tool for flat top...I had a cutter ground at a very sharp angle..Once you get the line, finish up with a conventional hand tools.
No...not soliciting a job...just passing on info.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information but it is now a moot point as I had to send it off to have another made as a crack developed through the wrist. Looks like there were some stresses that was not apparent when shaping the stock.
Damn aggravating Mad

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah..the grain in the wrist was not ideal...probably would have failed AFTER you spent $$$ on checkering

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That "neighbor girl" has been checkering for 35 years and is another Kimber of Oregon Graduate of the Pat Taylor School of Checkering! You should see the shirts she makes! She is also an excellent seamstress. She is with out a doubt the fastest checkerer I have ever known or heard of.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
I had to have hand construction from my other bad habit, team roping, so had her do a few stocks for me, she did fantastic work..Dennis said it took her about 45 minutes for my English pattern with mallard borders, It takes me a week or more..but age and injury has taken its toll..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Ray, couldn't help myself

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote