Find
Notify
Tools

firing pin on Browning hi wall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Browning hi wall; from the 1800's, before he sold the patent to
Winchester, in 219 Donaldson Wasp. It had been sitting for 70 or 80 years and was apparently someone's bench rest rifle back in the day.

I sighted it in, took it sage rat shooting, and out of about 80 rounds had 3 misfires. The misfire primers look like all the rest, and they are all a bit strange; very flat bottomed, and wide, as if the firing pin is larger diameter than most modern rifles. The indent is a bit shallower than normal dents, but this could easily be because they are wider.

Does anyone see a problem in stoning some round in the pin?

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, make sure the hole is not too big; but it can and should be rounded; not flat. It should be a flat mainspring action; make sure it is tight. The screw. If the mainspring is weak, it needs re-heat treating. Or a new one.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DPCD, that's what I was hoping for.

Another subject- you come recommended by a fellow in CO that did a good job of roughing out a couple of stocks. Can you take on the job of bushing the breachblock to fit the pin better? it's a MartinI Cadet that has been rebarreled to 17 Hornet. And is cratering so badly that it freezes up the breachblock with all but extremely light loads. PM is good- jmbn1@outlook.com

Thanks.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I could but backed up now so I wouldn't be able to do it until fall. sorry.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote