New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: c-clip
 Login/Join

posted
Sevens,

I say your original post and I think your getting a little confused. I am no expert here just going from memory from replies to a similar thread post a few months ago.

The C clips is not plastic, it is a small spring metal clip which looks like a washer with a segment cut out of it. It is used to retain the firing pin spring in place and fits into a shallow grove on the firing pin itself. The purists here noticed that it might be prone to coming out of its grove under recoil. In previous models, the same function was carried out be a small retaining nut and this was thought to be a more reliable solution. From what I understand the parts from the two different methods are not interchangeable and need to be exchanged by CZ.

The plastic part you were warned about was the magazine follower. This is the platform which pushes the bullets up in the magazine and has the large spring underneath it. In earlier models this was either steel or alloy and this was felt to be better than the current plastic one..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens

If you want to see what a "C" clip looks like, go to your friendly auto parts store and ask to see one.

In the auto mechanic trade they are also known as "Jesus" clips, because when you try to remove one the first thing you say is "Jesus, where did that thing go?". Not to be confused with a "snap ring" (internal or external) which in the trade is known as a M/F ring due the the language it generates during instalation and removial.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Thank you for clearing that up. Can the c-clip be identified without disassembling the bolt? I would like to try and avoid any problems because knowing my luck, when the thing breaks it will be when I need the gun most. Is there anything that can be done to make it more reliable or is the nut the best way to go? Has anyone ever had the c-clip dislodge? Are the new American models coming with a c-clip or the nut? What do the other factories use, such as winchester?
Thanks,
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to dis-assemble the bolt, with the bolt closed and cocked, press the bolt takedown button in while raising the bolt handle. Remove the bolt from the rifle. Unscrew the bolt shroud and firing pin assembly from the bolt body. Look at the front of the spring nut, it will either be a "C" clip or a second nut (the 2nd nut being the prefered).
Search back about a year or so, there was a very long thread w/photos, on this subject.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,

Could you provide a link, I can't seem to find the post. Thanks.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=371127&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

I'm sure the original posters of these pics don't mind...

With C-clip:

Without:

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a purist is beside the point. This clip failed when I was shooting feral cattle with a 9.3x62 on a control hunt in Hawaii a few months back. I was within 15 feet of a herd and had dropped two when my rifle quit working. Nothing worse happened and I finished up with a borrowed 30-06, but had I been facing a wounded lion or buff I might not be alive today.

You must field strip the bolt to check for a c-clip. This is easily done. CZ fixed my rifle for free, but I had to dog them via email first. Post here if you have more questions, or send me a PM. Okie John.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
John,

You had to face first hand what I want to avoid. The last thing I want is to be killed because my damb gun's c-clip failed when I was charged. It may stop production of cz's with c-clips though.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but the picture with the nut just seems to be lacking that circular wire around the firing pin. I am unable to distinguish this nut that is so coveted. I am glad to hear that I can send the bolt in and they will fix it for me under warrenty.
Sevens

one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
The second pic shows something that kinda blends in with the checkered part, right in front of it. THAT is the nut.

In the first pic with the C-clip, the clip is right in front of the checkered part. There is no nut in front...

Forgive my crappy description, I don't know most of the names of these parts...

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Circular wire IS the "C" clip. If the main nut turns into it with more than a little force, it pushs the clip out of it's groove (the first time I disassembled my bolt, I missed seeing the clip and unscrewed the nut (with no unusual force required) pushing the clip off the threads.
Hope that helps explain what your looking at.