New
Find
Notify
Tools

front sight on the pre-64
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How is the front sight of the pre-64 attached to the barrel? Is it integral, silver soldered brazed?

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the vintage. Early were integral.
About 1952 they switched to a soldered front sight, but with Winchester you might get an early barrel on a later numbered action.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks.
how would you tell. This is a 375.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned literally hundreds of pre-64 Model 70's and have never seen one with a separate front sight ramp. I think it is safe to assume that yours is integral.

I once bought a Model 70 from an ad in Shotgun News which described it as having had the barrel shortened and the front sight relocated. This fascinated me, since relocating an integral front sight seemed like nothing short of magic. When the rifle arrived, it turned out to be an early carbine, with an original short barrel, worth several times what I had paid for it.

Years later, I did encounter a Model 70 with a shortened barrel, and in that case someone had laboriously removed the integral ramp and in fact relocated it, a feat which I would have thought impossible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the three I have, only one dated 1951 has. the integral sight. One dated 1957 and another dated 1961 had soldered front ramp Just sayin.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if gently heating it would tell if it is integral or not?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Close exam shows it is definitely integral.
If you want to shorten the barrel what do you think is the best option for replacing the front sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not done this, but what about cutting the barrel, boring out the interior of the section under the ramp, leaving the OD as is.

Then turn off a corresponding area of the OD of the shortened barrel, and solder the ramp and band back on that turned down area?

If done properly, it should look almost original, except for the line of solder, and it should also be quite durable.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:
I have not done this, but what about cutting the barrel, boring out the interior of the section under the ramp, leaving the OD as is.

Then turn off a corresponding area of the OD of the shortened barrel, and solder the ramp and band back on that turned down area?

If done properly, it should look almost original, except for the line of solder, and it should also be quite durable.

I have done this and it works out well. The installation is nearly invisible. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an ingenious answer!