New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 70 .22 hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello.. trying to help friend restore a partially converted pre -64 hornet, previous owner apparently lost interest after having chamber opened to .222 and lost the mag box, follower and spring...any help locating parts would be appreciated....and reaaaaly stretching it a original barrel.....thanks, john

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wisner or maybe https://pre64win.com/

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre64win.com would be the place to look but take a deep seat when you look at the price. In fact, by the time you buy an inner mag, an outer mag box, follower, spring, floor plate, and trigger guard, you'll think you just bought a whole rifle

I've got the same gun someone else did years and years ago. I rebarreled it with a Kreiger and while it isn't a benchrest gun, it shoots very well. Lots of fun.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank svery much for the info...you were right about the costs involved!!!!...john

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a modified mag. If you want to send me your email, I'll send you some pics of it, it works just fine. Mine is p.mcfall@hotmail.com
Phil

one of us
posted Hide Post
Restoring it back to Hornet, well is a huge chore, I know Duane Wiebe reworked one last year with my help.

Depending on how bad the the main magazine box was altered is the hard part, it holds the ejector and the magazine insert.

Magazine inserts can be hard to come by and costly

I make reproductions of the spring and follower and pusher in the bolt.

Bolt faces can be tig welded up and recut, but I am out of reproduction extractors.

Conversion to 222/223 by making a new magazine box and insert, and a new barrel would be a easier way to go

J Wisner

Posts: 1409 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks to everyone for the responses....Phil could you e/m your info to ...nelsons-customs@comcast.net,please... bestb regards to all..john

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mr. wisner: I appears the you also quite making pre-64 mag. boxes for the swift, it that correct?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Devere

Regarding the M70 magazine boxes,
Yes and No as to not making them any more.

Its like this, two years ago this week we laid off my last machinest, so I have been solo now for 2 years. There is only so much time in a day/week.
When I am feeling well I can work 12 to 13 hours a day. I have been fighting Sciata in my left leg for 3 months now, first time ever.
Now that has healed up mostly my right hip/lower back is bothering me due to Mr Art being thru out my back, that issue will never go away and simply will get worse over the upcoming years
I am not on any pain meds as of yet, I have a VERY HIGH pain thresh hold which will be my undoing in later years
So currently I have quite a few good days, some bad days and some half days that are terrible

My normal source for steel, I by a 4 x 8 sheet of it at a time for the boxes, has not been able to get any of the correct thickness this year.
It needs to be .050" - .054" thick each sheet he has gotten this year has been thicker than that.

The last time I made a batch of magazine boxes it was about 500 units, and once they where done many retail and wholesale buyers simply jumped on them, and then I am out for several years before I have time to come back and make more.

So combined with my back issues, and getting the proper thickness of steel, and then getting around to make more boxes, I simply do not know when the next batch of M70 magazine boxes will happen.

J Wisner

Posts: 1409 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John
I sent pics, let me know if you need different angles.
Phil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John
Emails with pictures keep bouncing due to invalid address. Send me an email p.mcfall@hotmail.com and I can reply with the pics maybe???
Phil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi, phil..sorry for the mixup..the proper address is...nelsons-custom@comcast.net...thanks again..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Resent, John.
Phil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wisner: thank you much for your response to my question. I am sorry to hear of your physical challenges as well. For those of us who enjoy the use of our old model 70s, it is getting harder and harder to find, much less afford the small components. Who knows how many of us guys are out there and I am only 1, but I do hope that you will be able to again produce some of those parts. thanks much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
restoring it will a collector make it not!! it will always and forever be a tinkered with pre 64..

Besides the 222 is such a great caliber, it would be an evil deed to re-circumsize the little bastard!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote