THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Husqvarna 1640 and HVA. What's the difference if any?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna 1640 and HVA. What's the difference if any?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Is their any difference between Husky 1640's and HVA's as far as the action is concerned? I'm assuming this one is a 1640 since there is no "HVA made in Sweden" mark on the left side of the action would this be correct?

I found this one recently. The rifle was pretty much worn out but the action seems to be in very good condition and has the milled steel bottom metal. I need another rifle project like I need another hole in my head, but it seemed like a good deal so I went ahead and bought it for the action. I'll probably just pull the barrel and stick it in the safe till I get a few other things done.

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
From what I can see in your pictures, the action appears to be the same as the action on my 1640. The floorplate release button on my 1640 is a funny-looking sping-steel loop.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont understand your question

HVA is Husqvarna.

Thats a 1640.

1900 is a push feed

Im only into the 640 and 146 though so look here.

http://375hh.mine.nu/pettsons/hvastory.html

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I think you answered my question. I'm not sure if there is any difference at all.

Some have the HVA on the side and some don't. Since I posted this I've looked around a little more and there just isn't alot I can find on the net about them.

I guess the "HVA" on the side was just something they put on some models during different production years.

Thanks for the reply!

Terry

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
If your Husqvarna rifle has a steel "springey" looking floorplate release that is a very early version from the mid 50's which I think are part of an all steel triggerguard. They only made those for a couple years. They subsequently went to an in-the-triggerguard type floorplate latch on their alloy triggerguards that looked similar to the 1909 Argentine floorplate release.

However my knowledge is rather limited to the models that Tradewinds imported into the USA.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The HVA 1600 series was made in Swe but with different markings on the actions. It´s a good base for a lightweight hunting rifle. The models with steel floorplates are a bit hard to get compared to the later ones with a alloy floorplate.

The extractor is a on of a quind model that is imossible to get as a sparepart now. There was some years back extractors made in US but I don´t know if they ar avalible now? It´s possible to modify a M-96 extractor to fit a 1600 though. The extractor is working exactly like a M-96, it can klimb over the rim if extraction is sticky.....

If a custom stock is to be made to a 1600 I useally recomend to skip the ugly boltrelease nob on the left side of the action. The bolt can be released by depressing the stop with a finger inside the action. Not as fast and easy as if there was a M-98 or a M 70 style release but the stocklines will be a lot more sleek and stylish!

The trigger is a military syle construktion and the safety is integrated with it. A rather bad combo that makes it difficult/expencive to remake into a good trigger/safety. I think a lot of the HVAs sent overseas had the adjustable trigger fitted that is just as good as you ever need on a hunting rifle. These triggers looks a lot like Timneys to me...

The action and bolt is useally extremly hard in the HVA 1600 series and this makes the actions tuff to machine!

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As others have confirmed, that is a Husqvarna 1600 series action.(small ring) Earlier Husqvarna's used primarily FN large ring actions with some very early ones using either 96 actions or military style 98 actions.
I believe the steel floorplates were used up to serial 220,000, then they went to an alloy floorplate that is wider at the front.
Nice actions but the standard triggers are in need of replacement.
A good website for Husqvarna info is
http://www.pettsons.net/
Pat

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:

The action and bolt is useally extremly hard in the HVA 1600 series and this makes the actions tuff to machine!

Stefan

Sometimes too hard. I saw one where someone tried to remove the barrel (probably incorrectly) and shattered the action at the receiver ring. It did not twist, just broke into two pieces.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Stefan, I never thought about removing the bolt release knob. The hole where it's located would be below the wood. That's a fantastic idea! I love this board.

I took the barrel off since the pictures. I'm OK there thumb

Thanks,
Terry

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
There are actually 3 different versions of the 1640 action(called the HVA action in the US). Two with steel bottom metal and one with alloy. Yours appear to be of the earliest variety and the serial number (on the barrel, not the action number) would be below 200,000.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote