New
Find
Notify
Tools

recoil lug ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently my grubby little hands have been occupied with a Steyr Mod M I am trying to understand. Pulled the thing apart and did not find a recoil lug as we have been taught to expect. There just isn't one. However, the stern end of this action has a 3 cm square vertical abutment or lug into which the rear guard screw is screwed. This lug does not touch wood by .021" to the rear, and does not appear to have ever had contact with the wood at the tang. Here come the questions.
Would this seeming lack of lug contact have been condoned at the factory, and would it be acceptable for me to bed that lug? Yes, the one that smacks against tang wood. All feels contradictory. Any of you familiar with the Steyr's stock and action?

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steyr Mod M I

Here are some pics of a Mod M stock from Macon Gunstocks: https://www.shop.macongunstock...l-Length-Example.htm

It looks like there could be a recoil shoulder just in front of the rear action screw. Does the barrel have a lug that could bed in the channel forward of the front action screw? I guess the upper and lower tangs are so broad perhaps the wide radius could be a recoil shoulder without cracking the stock.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bobster,
Thanks for the link. Similar, but not quite. No lug on the barrel. The only lug is at the rear of the action under the tang and onto which the trigger hangs. This 3 square cm lug would transfer recoil forces directly to the pistol grip if metal was touching it, which it is not--leading to my questions.
Did it come from Steyr in this configuration, and would it be OK for me to bed behind that lug? As posted earlier, there is no indication of contact ever.
Help.
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the forward area is out of the equation because there is nothing there to support a recoil shoulder. That leaves the rear. Looking at the top rear receiver inlet it appears to be squared off. My bet it is there. No way it could split the stock.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That flat on the rear is supposed to contact. When glass bedding,I have always treated that as the lug. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote