New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kurtz Mauser custom build
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have two Kurz Mauser rifles in 250-3000. I also have another Kurz Mauser action I would like to make a custom sportier with. What is the most powerful cartridge that will "fully function" in that action? 358 win? Will a 257 Roberts fit in that action with factory bottom metal and feed properly???

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404-

I am no expert, but I see that no one else has offered any help yet. Probably because we all so envious of your 3 Kurz rifles/actions.

I have seen photos of a custom job on a Kurz action in .308, but I have no idea what may have done to make it work, if anything. So it seems like a .358 is possible...

No idea about the Roberts. I don't have a Kurz to check, dammit!

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Kurz actions, an original in 250 Savage, and an a much modified one currently being worked on in 6.5x47.

The magazine length is limited to 65.65 mm - 2.585" (maybe could be stretched by another 1.5 mm).

The originals were also chambered in 6.5x54 Mauser (which is different to the 6.5x54 MS) and 8x51, which is for all intent and purposes the same as a 308 with a .316 projectile.

So - if you can live with the COL a 358 might be possible.

I would be checking that a dummy cartridge will feed etc before I did anything, if you have to mess with the feeding of something this rare - good luck with being happy with the outcome . . . .

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Personally, I wouldn't try to turn a Kurz action into something it really wasn't meant to be. A suitable round in a suitable action makes for a much more attractive overall package.

Just my humble opinion formed by reading random postings on obscure websites.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I'm looking for is an easy to find, easy to load 6.5/7mm caliber to hunt with. I like the 125 gr. nosler partition for 6.5mm.the 260 Remington should be a good choice. I have a 25 caliber Kreiger I could use for a 250 savage or 257 Roberts. I don't think the Roberts will fit and I already have a savage. Thought about a 300 savage as we'll but brass is an issue. I also considered a 22-250 for heavy bullets but that would not really do what I want. Any other suggestions?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would tolerate 7mm/08 in a old Kurz,
in effect a necked down version of the 8x51 Mauser chambering.
Bell really liked his trim flyweight 6.5x54ms,
I guess he would have also delighted in a Kurz 7mm/08 had it been available... as opposed to his StdM98 7x57.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the choice of 260 Rem vs. 7-08Rem. I'm thinking that I really like the 6.5 mm better. Just wish it had a sexier caliber marking to put on the barrel!! Now what twist rate from kreiger to shoot 120-140 gr. bullerts???

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally decided on the 6.5x47 Lapua for the cartridge for this project. Thanks to Dan Pederson for the help in choices. Its like it was made for the little kurz action. 125 gr. Nosler Partitions at about 2950 f/s. Able to shoot the 140 gr. @ about 2750+ f/s. Also can shoot 100 gr. balistic tips 3000 f/s ! Sounds like the ticket is right for the deal. Plased the order for the barrel yesterday!

square shooter

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Just to confuse you, another one to look at is the 6.5 Creedmore. Essentially a 6.5x250 Savage Improved. Ammo and brass are available from Hornady.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3816 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Square shooter - make sure it feeds before the lathe turns. One of my 250-3000 Kurz would feed 6.5x47L , the other would not. I don't know why ( probably a magazine spring or follower related issue) but these actions are too hard to come by to take risks with in my opinion.

Cheers

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a response to the question regarding whether it can be done. http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100427976
Whether it should be is another matter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tentman, what modifications are you making on your Kurz? Are the mods for form or function? My action was originally for the 6.5 K.P.. Do you have any suggestions?

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Square shooter - make sure it feeds before the lathe turns. One of my 250-3000 Kurz would feed 6.5x47L , the other would not. I don't know why ( probably a magazine spring or follower related issue) but these actions are too hard to come by to take risks with in my opinion.

Cheers

Thats sounds more like an issue with the smiths ability not the Kurz actions ability.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Xausa,I saw that auction and have seen many Kurz action modifications over the years. Most, I would not have done.

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
New data for build. The OAL on the original box is 2.730 inches - bottom of box. The Blackburn jerry Fischer round box is 2.755 inches and the front of the box thickness is 0.15 inches thick. The Mauser box is 0.07 thick in front. I could mill out 0.08 inches from front of magazine box on Blackburn and get very close to 2.8 OAL. STILL I WOULD NEED 4 loaded rounds to check the feeding with both boxes. Finding reloading dies may be problematic!!! From pictures I have seen, I like the looks and probable performance of the little round in this action. This should work out to be a fine hinting weapon!

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My build is a simple rebarrel following the original profile, all the original fitting are reused.

The action I used for this build is a plain one without bridges, and not drilled or tapped. The Gunsmith is making what I term " artisan style" bases, much more European than the highly machined look preferred by American smiths/purchasers. The rear base will be sweated on, the front is on the barrel reinforce. My aim in this is not to change the action from its original state . . .

For this reason I wanted the action to feed without altering the feed rails. This is not a reflection on the abilities of my 'smith, who although not a "name", certainly has the respect of several well known US custom gunsmiths.

Each to his own, the first two Kurz actions I came across had been with " bubba" who had pretty much wrecked both of them, both had dark bores that I couldn't get to shoot, one had no bolt, the other an unusuable stock. When the 6.5x47L is done it will, like the 250 be of little collector value, but unsurpassed as a light handy mountain rifle with a bit of "cachet" with some folk - especially me. Whoever gets them after me will be able to "restore" them, being no worse off than when I obtained them.

Regards
Foster.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine has had minimum bubba factor. The dove tail in front receiver ring was common enough from factory. The original bolt was ground on the side to accommodate a low scope. The dovetail had been plugged and contoured to match rest of receiver. Don't know wether to leave the dovetail alone, use it as basis for a base, or make a square bridge affair for front and rear? ??? Ant thoughts/advice.

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dovetail cuts in the receiver are a bit of an issue (aesthetically only, I don't buy the internet rants about reduction in strength, the more I read about the Mauser design and production processes the more one comes to appreciate the quality of their engineering practise)and on my action with such a dovetail we filled it, then covered it with a soldered on base that completely covered everything. My receiver was heavily stippled which complicated matters somewhat and I'm not all that satisfied with the result, one day I may have it redone.
Another option from the "if you cant fix it feature it" school of engineering would bet to leave the dovetail claw element in place and mount the front scope base on the barrel reinforce.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If one wanted to leave an action in as near as can be to its original condition this action is close everything is original condition except the dished out bolt handle. I have thought of having claw mounts installed and just leave the bolt handle as is and call it good.i bought a Jerry Fisher designed magazine box for this action. I think it will look fine when done. I am considering using the original trigger guard assembly with double triggers. It has a lever released floor plate that is detachable/ non-hinged. The Blackburn box is longer and could be longer Bo .15 inch and leave more metal front and back than the original box. The triggers on the original box are so stiff. I have many Mauser rifles in my collection with similar arrangement and even my 9.3x62 rifles are lighter!!! What are your thoughts?

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thought, I really want a light rifle out of this. Would you consider a very slight full length milled rib/front sight with a rear dovetail and fit the original Mauser sight into it?? What do you think of that???

square shooter