New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt knob replaceent
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what is the proper way to replace just the bolt knob on a bolt action rifle. Those Winchester Classic bolt knobs with the "knurling" are just plain ugly. But the rest of the bolt is okay.
Wondering if a "dowel" type system is what is used?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
what is the proper way to replace just the bolt knob on a bolt action rifle. Those Winchester Classic bolt knobs with the "knurling" are just plain ugly. But the rest of the bolt is okay.
Wondering if a "dowel" type system is what is used?

Polish out the knurling, maybe reshape and re-blue?

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cut off the knob; weld on a new one. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I like either of those ideas; I actually never thought of grinding off the knurling. But doweling; no.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would be nice is to cut the knob off, round it and tig it back on the bolt sticking out a bit, like the old English rifles and Holland and Holland or add an Acorn..I have one of those old Holland bolts been saving it for a proper English 375 or what have you..My L.R. Brno mod 22 has a factory original Acorn bolt handle and I love it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I saved this pic

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all due respect that bolt knob is worse than the Model 70 classic with the knurling.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
With all due respect that bolt knob is worse than the Model 70 classic with the knurling.

Hmm, would have to agree, looks like something that's just been circumcised Eeker
Certainly unusual shape for a bolt knob, wonder what inspired it, might well have been something to do with the phallic symbol Wink

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I could go with the acorn, I would leave the knurling before I would put on an acorn.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never saw one before, but the acorn is positively hideous.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Acorn? barf

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Here's an odd one that I did for Dressel's some years back. Octagonal to round.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote