Find
Notify
Tools

mauser peep sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted
I picked up an old Jefferys 404 on a Mauser 98 action which I am busy restoring. It used to have a bolt mounted peep sight,which has long since been lost, leaving just the threads.
If anyone has a detailed picture or drawing that they can let me have I would be obliged, I dug around on the web and could'nt find anything I could use as a reference.

thanks

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Contact Rusty Marlin on this site, and he can help you out.

The sight that used to be on your 404 was no doubt the Rigby style aperature sight.
Rusty makes reproductions that are faithful in size and dimensions.

I have one on my 500 Jeffery.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
thanks Garret

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I also have one from his first group on my Single Square Bridge 375H&H. Works and looks perfectly appropiate to the gun. He does GOOD work.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the sight that Rusty makes, I just finished a 7X57 and used his sight

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Would you really want something like that so close to your eye on a big boomer like a .404?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex,

When you pull the trigger, the rear sight moves a little more than 0.5 inches forward (with the striker/firing pin assembly).

It's no longer near your eye after firing.

Garrett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty's:

original:

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't remember his name at the moment, but a writer from the '30's was hunting sheep with his wife and she lost her right eye due to a sight like that. She was shooting a .250-3000 in a Savage '99 at an angle pointing up. It was a tang peep, which is about the same location as a Mauser cocking piece sight

I would not use a sight like that. Given that I have a turbo case of accidentproneness, I could see me losing both eyes from a .22 short with a close peeep.

The good ol' Lyman 48 works as good as ever. And will be more accurate than 99% of the cocking piece sights out there. And folks will chang the spring and firing pin to try to reduce the lock time of the Mauser by .007329 milliseconds, but then hang a hunk-o'-iron on the rear of the cocking piece, doubling the lock time. bewildered

I have a question I have always wondered about. For those of you who had a cocking piece sight installed, did you have your gunmaker install a spring-loaded detent to the underside of the bolt shroud? Howe loved the cocking piece sights and he has some detailed drawings in his book showing how he gets the bolt shroud to return to close to the same place each time. Still will not be as accurate as a Lyman 48 or other conventional fixed peep sight, but surely is more than enough accurate for a hunting rifle.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My cocking piece sight by Tom Deluchi does have a spring detent where a piece clicks into a notch to hold the position.

After my 500 Jeffery is stocked, Rusty will add a similar detent onto his sight, for 50 yards and 100 yards (that particular yardage was requested by me, not Rusty).
That way the regulation of the sights, with my chosen ammo, will be right for the new stock.

I doubt the stock will be finished before May or June (2008).

Garrett

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Rusty's sight has the ball detent for elevation you just have to cut the notches when you sight in the rifle with the load you use. I believe if you look at the old tang peeps found on some 99's you will find they fold both back AND forward which to me has always been dangerous. My 375 returns to zero fine with no modifications at all to cocking piece. I have been building rifles for over 50 years and can't remember ever speedlocking any gun except a 17 enfield when converting to cock on open. I'm sure there have been many but I have never seen one. Only drawback to the cocking piece peep is it must be set for the load you use, but then a fixed rear on a DGR has to be filed in for a single load.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
This is the sight that Rusty makes, I just finished a 7X57 and used his sight

Man oh man does that look nice. Do you have any more pics of the rifle?

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
I did post some photos on the 25th three or so pages back.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote