THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Springfields that went to England & Germany, And other Classics
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfields that went to England & Germany, And other Classics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyeswhat do you intend to use it on? shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Thanks for posting all the photo's of the early Springfield custom sporters. I'm just starting on a Springfield that will be built to closely resemble an early sporter. The pictures are a great reference.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Smiler

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous little rifle! I assume it is an -06?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael: That is one beautiful Springfield!! I notice you live in Alaska... It's pretty humid up there.. would be a shame to let it get wet... why don't you send it to me here in dry Wyoming.. I'll only use it occasionaly... LOL... Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Without peer, one of the most beautiful actions ever produced and then the addition of skilled British artisans doing their work makes it only that much more outstanding. Classic in the purest sense of the word!! The 98 Mausers have all ran and hid behind the curtain to only take a peek at such beauty and grace!! When you arrive at the great range "in the sky..." you will be told, "well done, you chose wisely..."

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les Staley:
Michael: That is one beautiful Springfield!! I notice you live in Alaska... It's pretty humid up there.. would be a shame to let it get wet... why don't you send it to me here in dry Wyoming.. I'll only use it occasionaly... LOL... Les

Don't worry I keep it in the gun rack in the back window of my pickup with the heater running so it stays dry. Wink

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle was originally a NRA sales rifle that was sold to a gentleman in Canada. Gibbs of Bristol, England had an office in Vancouver, Canada and this rifle was sent by them to their shop in England and sporterized. It has the Canadian as well as the English address on the barrel. The engraving is not what I would expect from their in-house engravers so I suspect it was sent to Germany-Austria. Nothing was overlooked on this rifle, the trigger is a good as any I have ever seen and every tool mark has been removed from the rifle. If money was no object circa 1920 you sent your rifle on an overseas trip and this is what you got back. It’s still a 30-06. Some sent their rifle to Germany for a make-over maybe next time we can look at one of them.

For the dark months:

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Thank you for sharing those pictures!
I'm just learning to appreciate the European influence on stock making. That stock really strikes me as I look at the line where the metal and wood join. The metal seems to gently flow from the wood rather than jumping out. It's almost as though the inletting is understated for depth.

Very nice!

lc

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the casing is for the barreled action taken out of the stock. I have a Holland & Holland Norwegian Krag sporter that is cased the same way. Guess maintaining zero wasn't a big issue in those days.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle, and beautiful, too.

Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13410 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A beauty.I like the engraving.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW !
Not seen a rifle like that before. I wonder how many springfields were done in england.
I am thinking not many. That front site is really cool. Love to have one like it on a project one day. I wonder if it was an off the shelf part way back then or if its a one of a kind...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No detail on this rifle was overlooked, one thing I like to point out is the front sling swivel and the perfect fit of the screw.

The original owner of the rifle, Mr. Brace, seen on the left in a hunting camp in BC or Alberta.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
What is done to the bottom metal to achieve the steep angle of the forearm? Very nicce?

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Michael

Thanks for posting the pictures of a great rifle built on a great action. Would it be possible to see a picture of the butt plate?

Many thanks

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stunning lines! What length is the barrel?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few Springfields that were done in England not many but they are around. Stoeger circa 1931 had some made by W & C Scott.

Please excuse the fast picture of the buttplate, have been at the range all day.

They did nothing to the bottom metal that I can tell. From the receiver ring the forearm is just over 6†long. The barrel is 24â€.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

Talked to Clayton today and he said hes going to be at Lars house in just a few weeks. Coming by to see you I reckon. Ask if he could slip that Springfield in his bag and bring home to me. Hope to come up to Lars again some day and see it in person.

Gar--been pouring over that book again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
unabashed plug: buy Michael's book on custom riflemakers of the 20th century. Enough eye-candy there for a whole winter.
Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with Clayton a while back and expect him in July, stop by if you’re in the area.

Rich,

Thanks for the plug, I’m working with color and using the boards so I’ll have a reason to practice. If there is enough interest I’ll do more as time allows.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Michael for the Great Pictures of a Beautiful rifle.

Where can I buy the book?.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very fine!
No question about the magazine cut-off, is there?

DJ-- You're going to love the book!
Michael Petrov
923 West 74th Ave.
Anchorage, AK 99528
...and you'll get a signed copy, I'll let him reveal the price.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1791 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Very fine!
No question about the magazine cut-off, is there?

DJ-- You're going to love the book!
Michael Petrov
923 West 74th Ave.
Anchorage, AK 99518
...and you'll get a signed copy, I'll let him reveal the price.

I like gold when used for numbers and letters, no missing the "ON or OFF".

A personal check for $30 to receive a signed copy of my book by priority mail. Zip is 99518 $29.95 if not signed Smiler

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the butt plate picture Michael. It is a bit different than I would have guessed it would be, but nicely done.

quote:
I’m working with color and using the boards so I’ll have a reason to practice. If there is enough interest I’ll do more as time allows.

I would be very interested in anything like this rifle you would choose to put on these boards also.

I also would highly recommend Michael's book to anyone if they don't already have it. It is unsurpassed as far as information on early custom rifles are concerned. I am truly grateful that someone has taken the time to research these older custom rifles especially those built on the 1903 Springfield rifle.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
Interesting that the casing is for the barreled action taken out of the stock. I have a Holland & Holland Norwegian Krag sporter that is cased the same way. Guess maintaining zero wasn't a big issue in those days.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but do you have pictures of the Krag rifle, since Krag was made and designed here in Norway so its special for me .

About the Springfield, wonderfull rifle , a piece of art and culture, i have always liked the British style on the rifles and this was made with care and respect.

A copy of the book would be interresting to buy.

Smiler

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

That is one georgeous rifle. My hat is off to Mr. Brace...

Thanks for posting the pix of it.

And, I'll get a check in the mail to you today for your book on custom rifle makers. I'll add a nickel to the pot for your signature too.. Big Grin

I LOVE looking at those extremely well made rifles of yesteryear.. Like Bob Owen sporters, etc, etc.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but do you have pictures of the Krag rifle, since Krag was made and designed here in Norway so its special for me.Smiler[/QUOTE]

Here is one until Mark can get one of his.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:Michael,

That is one georgeous rifle. My hat is off to Mr. Brace...Thanks for posting the pix of it.

I LOVE looking at those extremely well made rifles of yesteryear.. Like Bob Owen sporters, etc, etc.

Don

Bob Owen is an easy one, I had these in the computer.

To All:
Enjoy the pictures in this thread, download them or whatever for reference. Please do not post them on the net. MP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang, that is about the biggest forend checkering pattern I have ever seen. Nice rifle.

John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This world will be a better place when Mark (vigillinus) gets to shooting some pix!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1791 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
This world will be a better place when Mark (vigillinus) gets to shooting some pix!

I agree, I have been trying to talk him into doing an article on the custom Krags, heck he could do a book on the subject.

Griffin & Howe Krag

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
wonderfull Krags, look up Frantz Rosenberg, he was a Norwegian gunbug, hunter, matchshooter, gunwriter, Baron who had many British made guns and he had some work on a Krag made also in England . And many other fine rifles he had in his collection.

The Krag was also used by the boers during the boer war and they liked it so much that they wanted it made in 7x57 mm but due tio machinery cost tha twasnt possible.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Thanks for the pictures of the Bob Owen sporter.
They sure made my day!!
Incidentally, I just mailed the check off to you for $29.95 plus a nickel.. Big Grin For your book..

Don

Edit to add: Bob Owen sporters had the very best pistol grip design of any rifle ever made.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
I agree, I have been trying to talk him into doing an article on the custom Krags, heck he could do a book on the subject.

SDH and Michael

I agree 1000% with both of you. I would love to see some more of Vigillinus's Krag sporters and would even stand in line to buy a book by him. Shucks, I might even stand in line for a magazine article. Wink

At the last guild show Jerry Fisher casually mentioned to me that he got "conned" into building him a Krag sporter. Vigillinus has mentioned he believes it is the best Krag sporter he has ever seen, and when he learns how to use that camera he has he will put up a picture of it. I am waiting anxiously for that day. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Thanks for the photos of the springfield. I have been checkering Gasgunners Dad's birthday present Springfield 22 rimfire trainer today and am just finished with the rust bluing. It is a pleasure to work on these old gems. Jim Dubell did an incredible job on the bottom metal. he converted the milled bottom metal to a hinged floorplate that covers the shortened clip.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Michael,
Thanks for the photos of the springfield. I have been checkering Gasgunners Dad's birthday present Springfield 22 rimfire trainer today and am just finished with the rust bluing. It is a pleasure to work on these old gems. Jim Dubell did an incredible job on the bottom metal. he converted the milled bottom metal to a hinged floorplate that covers the shortened clip.

GREAT! Do we get to see some pictures when done, hint, hint?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
from above:

this rifle is stunning- I had a shot at something similar (and I have no eye for it, so let's say only similar) two years back, the man was asking 1300 dollars, "a very flexible $1300" he said, and I walked on it. kickin' myself ever since.

it's not easy finding a "custom" Krag that isn't on the hideous side, taste-wise. I've seen several with really overstated cheek pieces, roll-over combs, etc.

again, the rifle in the photo is classic.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree.

That Krag is magnificent.
Everything about that rifle spells CLASS, great lines, beautiful wood, awesome workmanship.....

Don