THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Whittle and Tell: Machining a couple of Rem clones

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whittle and Tell: Machining a couple of Rem clones
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now that a couple of Rem clones are broached, here is pictorial of the process.

^Single point cutting the lug seats and barrel thread.

I use a class 3A/3B thread gauge.

When I rough bored a blank before broaching I somehow got the bore off center on one of them and had to make a oversize thread.
Going to have to pay more attention next time.

^3 receivers bored and threaded.
I am putting that fat boy aside for now till I decide what to do with it.
Brace yourself fellas, steady... I may make a tube gun out of it.
Hopefully no one fainted and conked their head on something hard, like a nice piece Turkish walnut blank. lol

^I made a ground bar that seats against the bottom lugway so I locate everything true and square.

^Bandsawed tangs.

^ Closeup of the finish I am getting on the bore and lugway. I did a bit of polishing these but not much. I should be able to remove all tooling marks and still have a close fitting raceway.

^Indicting TDC off the bottom lugway with the location bar.

^I didn't have a tap wrench that fit the 8-40 that wasn't sloppy and misaligned, so I made this one up on the lathe from 4140 prehard. All concentric. Used a new hardened and ground drill bushing for a guide in the drill chuck.
Worked so good I am going to make one for the guard screw tap and just leave the taps in them ready to go.

^At 12 O clock position I D&T, mill overall length, mill the aft end of the bridge, cocking piece slot and rough out the loading/ejection port.
I haven't decide exactly how big I want the L/E port. Somewhere between stock and a small 90 degree.

That is it for now. I am just a weekend warrior so hopefully once a week or so it gets an update.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice post, Doug..can't wait until you do a 33-40

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I havn't seen that kind of test indicator in 30 years or more

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Nice post, Doug..can't wait until you do a 33-40

Thanks Duane!
I am not really a Rem guy, in fact I have never owned a Rem rifle.
psss...but don't tell that to the guys over at Benchrest Central, I have been milking them for dimensions since I don't have a receiver to measure and the plans I have, contain errors. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I havn't seen that kind of test indicator in 30 years or more

30 years?? That is nothing I have been carrying around that fat receiver for 42 years!
I took a machine shop class at the local community college making the required projects and asked the instructor if I could make a receiver blank, I showed him a drawing of a bored and broached tube.

He said sure, these days they would probably call the SWAT squad. lol

Anyway I went to a steel dist, bought a piece of 4140 annealed, rough bored a 1/2" hole from each end and heat treated it myself in the colleges furnace.
They had a very well equipped shop, but I was soon to find out they had no tooling other that what was required to make the required shop projects.
No long drills, no 45/64 reamer, no broaches, no nothing.

So I have carried that lump of metal around for 42 years, through lots of moves, college, job relocations etc as I was acquiring machinery, tools and the skill to be able to tackle it.
Dragging all that stuff whenever I would move.
Tons of it!

Some where along the line, I needed a piece of hardened steel and lopped it off from a long action to a model 7 length.

But I am getting closer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
Now that a couple of Rem clones are broached, here is pictorial of the process.

That is great! Thanks for sharing pictures of your progress with us. How are you planning to cut the ramps on the lug abutments and the matching extraction cam? It seems like some kind of special tooling would be required. Good luck and keep at it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of ways to cut the chambering cam.

^Chunk of a file on an arbor.
https://www.practicalmachinist...n-179971/index8.html

and this idea....

https://www.practicalmachinist...construction-172498/

or this...

https://www.practicalmachinist...construction-172498/

I will probably just go the file route on the Rems and something more elaborate on the mausers since they have a far bigger chambering cams or ramps and a lot more material that need removal.

The extractor cam I will file to fit after I get the front cams cut. I want minimum fore and aft bolt slop between the two.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Doug,enjoying your threads. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit more progress, plowing and shoveling snow is cutting into my projects time.

^ I contact cemented a a piece of 2x72 grinding belt, German made to my polishing iron. Worked much better than import or US emery cloth because the backing didn't dissolve or get gummy and soft from the ATF.
About 2-3 hours each and the bolts slide smoothly w/o slop.

^ Trigger pin holes and guard screws drilled and tapped.

^ No gunsmithing here! lol
I am rebuilding a Kellogg American compressor pump and broke a ring trying to install. My 1st broken ring in 40 years of doing such things.
Rather than order a whole ring set, $80 I ordered a ring $4 from Hastings but the thickness was .100" instead of .090", so I bored it to size.

On to the trigger lot and mag well.....