New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 70 short action question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone say as to what the longest overall length is that will cycle comfortably in a m70 short action that has had the mag box shim removed?
I am looking for possible candidate for a future project.
Thanks for any information

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found one chambered in .243 for a good price that has a very beat up stock, but good metal.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Box is 3.080. I have one in 350 Rem Mag. Which I should sell.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
I built one in 6.5-284 & am loading to 3.050" with a little room to spare.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I was hoping for 3". Sounds like it will work for 2.95 cartridges, or less.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wait!
The box I actually measured is eighty thousandths longer than three inches. .080 is a lot.
7mm already said the was using ammo .050 longer than three inches.
So why are you saying it will only work for 2.95 length and not the three inches you want?

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D’Arcy Echolls once mentioned in a post that one can use the short action Model 70 classic for 3” plus a little length rounds. I believe he mills the rear bridge back a little and repositions the scope ring holes to his liking. A 3” intermediate 257 Roberts would be cool.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late response. I've been extra busy.
I mis posted earlier.
Meant to say it will be good for 2.95 up to 3.
I need a minimum of 2.9 clearance , as best I can tell. But want to have at least 3" to be good for seating long for cartridge.
I am doing a 6.5 PRC build this upcoming year.
Thank you guys for the info.
I got the donor rifle chambered in .243 for $200.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If in the PRC, just buy a WSM mag box and follower. They measure 3.050" internal length and have no feed lips bent into them, just a straight walled box. Don't forget to get a proper ejector for it also, or you can re-work the old one.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have the bolt face opened up and probably use the original extractor.
Hopefully I can modify or use as is the existing mag box. It looks pretty straight forward.
But, it will be a few months before I will have the time to get started.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the short action done for the WSSM cartridges? I was thinking that the standard action was made for everything else?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have barreled short action Model 70's for the 6.5x55 and the 7x57. I removed the spacer at the rear and replaced the follower with a slightly modified one from a Turkish Mauser.
The actions for the WSSM's were shorter yet. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3490 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote