Find
Notify
Tools

Extended Tangs on a Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
I love the look of extended tangs on a big bore rifle. Duane is giving away one of his trade secrets in this photo. It seems the secret to making extended tangs this nice is the home gunsmith’s best friend – the Dremel tool.

This rifle is a 500 Jeffery being built for one of our AR forum friends who has no idea how to post a photo.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
If that belongs to who I think it does, I hope the stock is not too long, for me lol.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Nope, this one is for someone else and it just might fit you.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWEET!

Wondering what the tangs add in weight?

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, I have always liked the looks of extended tangs. However, they always looked difficult to do. Duane telling me they were easy to do was no comfort. The difficult is easy for him, the impossible barely ruffles his feathers and he does those tasks also with ease.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

About nada... The SD (specific density) of walnut v. steel ain't that much, and the volume is very small.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'll have to remind Duane how easy they are for him. He sure charges an arm and a leg for them. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I'll have to remind Duane how easy they are for him. He sure charges an arm and a leg for them.

If i had to do this an arm and a leg wouldnt be enough... Big Grin

And to get the inletting perfect too...Lots of talent there, and I'll bet it's not dremel talent!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is that Duane only used the Dremel for polishing on the triggerguard. I don't know about the extended tangs. I know if I tried to polish on the tang with a cartridge roll all I'd do is dimple them from one end to the other.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

About nada... The SD (specific density) of walnut v. steel ain't that much, and the volume is very small.

I agree the the amount of metal added is small and would mot add much weight, maybe 2-4 oz total. But, I don't know about the SD of walnut and steel being close. Can you imagine what a stock blank sized billet of steel would weigh?
Eeker

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I did a quick search and according to this site steel is 10 heavier(by volume) than walnut.

quote:

steel - rolled 7,850kg/Cu.M
Walnut, black, dry 609kg/Cu.M

Even ebony is not in the same ballpark as steel.
quote:
Ebony 960-1,120kg/Cu.M

Jason

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew someone would get that... Wink I "blurted" it out, but really meant to just say that the volume is small enough it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...this happens to be a 500 Jeffery...guess another 2-3 oz won't be noticed either way...or...might be appreciated?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
really meant to just say that the volume is small enough it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

I agree 100%

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I am making my first right now, but it is a short one just to make room for the tang safety.
I will recess the safetylever in an extended part of the gash for the cocking piece marked with black:

Next I am going to (try to )make one that looks like the one on the .500 Jeffery.

Thanks to Duane for his inspiering makings and pics!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Both very nice. Bent please keep up the pics w/the tang safety.

thanks
Rich

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bent...especially show the hook-up to what I assume is a side safety conversion at the trigger?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
Sorry about quality of the pic.
Yes, it is going to be hooked up to a converted sidesafety triggerhouse. I also really would like something to lock the cocking piece, will see what I will come up with.
I am now only doing gunsmithing part-time, but I will come up with progress pics along the way.

Cheers,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I love the look and I think I understand the concept (strengthen grip area).

Where does this start making sense to do 416 - 458?

I was wondering if the screw at the nose of the comb and underside of the grip, are they simpliy wood screws?

I am wondering about taking the action out of the wood for maintenance and such. Does it all go back together easily?

Sorry I am dumber than box of rocks but you already knew that.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
A beautiful job! I don't think that will be my next project.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HBH:
Duane,

I was wondering if the screw at the nose of the comb and underside of the grip, are they simpliy wood screws?

I am wondering about taking the action out of the wood for maintenance and such. Does it all go back together easily?

Many Thanks

HBH

Good questions........I would also like to know the answers.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:
Originally posted by HBH:
Duane,

Many Thanks

HBH

Good questions........I would also like to know the answers.

I think Duane is waiting for Shootaway to reply before hazarding a guess.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

I must have missed something.......I'm not sure who "Shootaway" is or what he has to do with this thread?

I think Duane is currently out of pocket.....hunting antelope.

Duane is building a 450 Rigby for me on a Satterlee mauser action (waiting on the barrel) and I have thought about having him put extended tangs on it, thus my interest in the questions posed by HBH.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHC_TX,

I kind of thought that is where Duane may be, I hope that he took the 9.3, and finds a long n heavy horned goat!

HBH

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just looking as a layman, I can't see much reinforcing provided by the top strap; its way too thin at the thinnest to add much. But it sure adds a lot of elegance.

The bottom strap would, under load, seem to want to shear the wood screw or pry the grip cap off before it did much to reinforce the wood. In either case, the wood is highly loaded before either metal part receives much of a load from recoil.

But I sure like them and plan on the same treatment underneath on the bottom tang with a project gun.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Immense elegance but little practical uility.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
practical, smacktical! Extented tangs are beautiful! A double rifle with an extended tang is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold, forever! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If done right,extended tangs add alot of value to the rifle.They make the type of rifle that one will be very happy to inherit.However,it has to be done on a rifle with a safe,quality action and not old junk.A rifle with a good action as the foundation.If you have a son who likes rifles and shooting,and understands the importance of a well maintained bore,then get extended tangs.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

I think Duane is waiting for Shootaway to reply before hazarding a guess.

clap rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I have to play "catch up" Yeah, Forrest B, James R and I had a great time in WY. Lots of nice bucks, good food, beer (and wine and bourbon and rum and scotch...etc)

I've not done any chin ups for a test, but I agree with Shooaway that the most strength added is probably on the botom tang.

In the past, I offered an upper extension that exended only to the start of the comb nose and not over the top. No takers!

When a bolt gun stock breaks, it's almost always just behind the rear guard screw. At that point, the tang extension is quite thick and wide, so the strength imparted should not be understated.

I'm sure it's happened, but I've never seen a stock so re-inforced that failed. On a "heavy" I think it's worthwhile. If a slim grip is needed on a heavy, it's almost required.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
Immense elegance but little practical uility.

Its entirely practical. The more metal surfaces there are on a rifle, the more metal surfaces that can be engraved! Smiler