New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heat Treating a Hagn action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have found a Hagn mini action for sale, and I’d like to have a 223 built on it. It comes unhardened, so Im looking into heat treatment options. Is it true that this action only needs to be surface hardened? If so, would gas nitriding be appropriate for this action? i understand that it leaves a silver color like French Gray. I don’t really like color casehardening, as I wear it off pretty fast.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
talk to the maker
don't rely on hearsay

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this is the one on GB you might ask the seller, I'm pretty sure he would know.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to rephrase the question. I know it needs heat treated. I did talk to Ralf Martini. The seller confirmed it. I need to find a heat treating company in the US that can do gas nitriding and also has an FFL.

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Blanchard does; but first you need to know what kind of steel it is made from. As mentioned; no guessing.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Ralph didn't make it.
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
talk to the maker
don't rely on hearsay

serial# could make a difference to what can be done to the action.
quote:
talk to the maker
don't rely on hearsay

quote:
talk to the maker
don't rely on hearsay

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, it was mostly made by Martin Hagn with CNC parts by a Norwegian and others. I asked Blanchard if they have an ffl. No response yet.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
all the minis are NOT I repeat NOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT made from the same steel. They don't all take kindly to heat treating.

TALK TO THE MAKER!!!!!!

It's beyond me why someone would want to rely on internet BS when the maker is alive and well.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
all the minis are NOT I repeat NOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT made from the same steel. They don't all take kindly to heat treating.

TALK TO THE MAKER!!!!!!

It's beyond me why someone would want to rely on internet BS when the maker is alive and well.

Here you go. Martin has made actions from castings, from mild steel plate and, one time, from a piece of AR100 abrasion resistant plate (bought by mistake).He admitted this one was tough to work with. I saw some actions which were ruined when case hardening was attempted.
This particular action may have begun life as a casting or may be mild steel or c1045. Martin should know and Ralf might know as well. As to whether nitriding is a good approach, well, that depends on the steel as well. Mild steel which is carburized and case hardened will anneal at nitriding temps, I think. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with both of you Gentlemen but will submit that the mini that is on Gunbroker is being sold by Steve Heilmann so there is a very good chance the seller knows exactly what he has.

Steve Bertram

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally called Mr Hagn. The only thing Martin would be definite about are current actions. The actual maker is the Norwegian machinist who made the parts. The action, block and lever are machined from 8620 steel. Hagn recommends nitriding for surface hardening. He does not recommend color casehardening because of potential warpage. All of the other parts are already heat treated.

As it appears that have been so many different earlier versions, I think I’ll stick with buying direct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I finally called Mr Hagn. The only thing Martin would be definite about are current actions.

Kinda scary that a maker of an completed receiver (I am assuming it is past 80% and has serial numbers) who subbed out the machine work isn't sure what the steel is.

No specs for the machinist, just do whatever you want?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitriding..Confess I don't know much about it, but what information I have...it's not recommended for parts subject to "sudden shock", gears for instance.

Anyone know (not guess) if this is truly a "go to" for rifle actions?

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had bolts nitrided for wear resistance and to reduce galling and it worked out.
Had air cylinders nitrided as opposed to hard chrome for wear resistance and corrosion resistance. Worked well too.
Martin's reservations about color case hardening are well founded. Although he had a lot of actions case hardened with good results, this was not always the case. I recall annealing one receiver for him. It had warped quite badly with the sides bowing out about .030". It annealed nicely but the dimensions remained as they were. I don't know if Martin was able to straighten it to his own satisfaction. I never asked.
Doug W,
You have to know the parties involved to be able to understand and, even then, it can be hard to figure. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:

Doug W,
You have to know the parties involved to be able to understand and, even then, it can be hard to figure. Regards, Bill.

Knowing nothing about the parties involved, I have figured it out. Smiler
Whoever headed this endeavor didn't control the process and the people involved.

And that is how you end up with a serial numbered receiver that manufacturer has no idea what it is made of.