New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope bases. Need some help please!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just getting into long range shooting. I have a 338 RUM long action left handed Rem. 700. I took the scope off of it to send in and get the stuck turret taken care of. I put a scope leveling kit on the bases and they are not level to each other. What to do? Will this effect the shooting at long range or should I buy a one piece base? Thanks for your time!

Posts: 558 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Definitely get a one piece base, but most guys would be surprised about the planes of their scope bases; usually cause no problems unless they are grossly off and bend or twist the scope. Leopold bases compensate for that some, and the Burris plastic inserts eliminate it.
But for long range shooting I use only one piece bases and for really long ranges you want a sloped one so you can get more reticle travel.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like one piece bases and when I had my 700 338RUM I used Leupold two piece bases without issue. That rifle was a tack driver but I found at my advancing age I had no use for it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
I don't like one piece bases and when I had my 700 338RUM I used Leupold two piece bases without issue. That rifle was a tack driver but I found at my advancing age I had no use for it.

Dennis, you were lucky.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for getting me set straight. I ordered a one piece base.

Posts: 558 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He said he is a lucky duck.
69; good move.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you are getting into long range, you might want to look at a Picatinney Rail with +20 moa built into the base.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
If you are getting into long range, you might want to look at a Picatinney Rail with +20 moa built into the base.

Take a look at Murphy Precision, I've used several of his bases, well made product.

murphyprecision.com

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote