Notify
Tools

7.3 Coolant Filter Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience with these?

Thinking of adding one.

Prices are from $50 to $150, the only difference I can see is the label/lack of label on the top of the filter housing.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that works out for you I can sell you a system to filter the air in your tires! Now after that smarty pants answer i'll get serious. I don't see any advantage to filtering coolant. I believe in changing the coolant when it starts to turn and don't think any amount of filtering would give it any longer life, but who knows.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like if you were to do regular maintenance as spec'd,(not saying that YOU don't) then there would be no reason for a filter.. but a lot of big rigs do have them.

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thinking was that some of the Powerstrokes and other big block diesels were sand cast blocks and that the sand over time would leach out and cause damage. This is more of a slight possibility than definite problem. Better to spend the money on a coolant flush and refill.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote