Find
Notify
Tools

Polaris Ranger EV?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted
Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience withe the Polaris electric UTV. It supposedly has a 30hp motor and all the bells and whistles of the gas powered Ranger side by side.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13144 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one I bought new in 2011 (?), but I think it was a 2010 model, I don't like it. As a matter of fact, I've used it so little that the batteries are pretty much gone. If you want it for $3000 (batteries cost about $2600 from dealer last time I checked, but I think you could get the same results substantially cheaper if you sourced your own), come get it. My main complaint was time of use when it was cold. In addition, it is low and the batteries make it heavy, so it gets stuck pretty easily in muddy spots.

I guess my main problem is, I can carry gas or diesel with me, I can't carry an electrical outlet although I have heard of people limping home using a generator.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

We test drove one here at our ranch in Wyoming, thinking it would be siginificantly

quieter than the two gas Polaris Rangers we have. Seemed to have good power & do well

on steep hills, however it makes a high-pitch noise when driving & the animals

seemed to run away & be more scared of it than the standard gas model.

Anyway, we ended up not getting it.

Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that whine is not universal, apparently some have it, some don't. Mine really doesn't, FWIW.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
About how long will it run at a constant low speed and moderate load. I need something to use around a small(70) acre farm I am buying in south GA. Land is flat and generally dry. I would be pulling a small Harrow for fire breaks and food plots and just general use. If it would run for 2 or more hours that would work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd ask the dealer, but mine would not come close to that time for continued use. Plus, the more load, the shorter the run time.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Oh well, back to the gas version.. Thanks a lot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the reason you are looking at it as being quiet.
Might look at the new Kawasaki Mules or the John Deere gators. Both use the same 3 cylinder 4 stroke. Actually a chinese made car engine. Remarkably quiet for a UTV, very smooth and economical compared to most.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Look at the Kubota RTV 500.
I find mine to be less noisy than either the Ranger, Mule or Gator. Hydrostat drive makes for more pulling power and superior reliability too.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote