Find
Notify
Tools

New 4wd and Trailer towwing vehicle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
At 170,000 miles, my 1999 4wd Yukon work, farm, family, and hunting truck had become less than 100% reliable, so last week it was sold.

Here is the replacement:

Grandson at the wheel of 2015 4wd Tahoe LTZ with heavy duty everything mechanical and some bling on the interior and outside. Brush guard and skid plate on order. If it lasts 15 years, I will be pleased.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Got a little mud on the tires yesterday at the deer lease- guess we had more rain than expected; had to break in 4wd and trailer tow mode (reprograms 8 speed tranny shift pattern to raise rpm shift points to keep up revs to avoid downshifting and lugging engine on hills).
Learned the rear is so high that a six inch dropped receiver is needed to get trailers near level(horses do not like to ride far at a 45 degree angle). Cool

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice ride/rig...have fun.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Just installed and adjustable ball mount that will allow a level tow of any trailer on the place other than the travel trailer which has its own heavy duty load leveling ball mount.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I was really disappointed by the looks of the new Chevy/GMC Tahoe/suburban whatever they are called.

They really emasculated/gangstafied those things.

Not that I would buy a Chev anything after the buy out, but I was hoping for something like this:

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Great pix! In SoCal, you probably remember Desert Dog tires?
I had those and other such fun and noisy treads on my Scout II. Even some super tough all nylon tires with treads like a tractor - problem was they flat-spotted so bad that the first block or two on a cold morning would give me a headache. Mad

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat. I have a 1999 Suburban with almost 175k on it (I'll hit that this week). I get nervous on trips. I drove to Albany, Texas last weekend, and it did well. The minimal repairs and expenses are worth it, but I hate car payments.

Soon, it'll be parked at the ranch with a trickle charger to be used once I arrive.

Oh, I hope you don't miss the cassette deck you once had. Your grandson likely wondered what that contraption was in the Tahoe.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Great pix! In SoCal, you probably remember Desert Dog tires?
I had those and other such fun and noisy treads on my Scout II. Even some super tough all nylon tires with treads like a tractor - problem was they flat-spotted so bad that the first block or two on a cold morning would give me a headache. Mad

I just moved down here from Alaska.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
DCS - The Tahoe has a CD player, so I can use my C&W disks without conversion, but I do miss the cassette deck which I kept loaded with Willie and Waylon albums for when the mood struck me. Guess that I will have to recreate that collection from another source now.

BTW, I will be taking my grandson to Albany Jan 10-11 for a DWWC youth doe hunt on the Trail and Hooker Ranch. We will stay in town and drive out to hunt.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at