New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert Ruark Hunting Video
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's like going back to the 1950's in a time machine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...esktop&v=N2Cim-4tWkw

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must have been wonderful days. In that video Selby is shown with a double, guess before he got his 416!

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall reading that one of the stunts Harry would play was tying to bottles by string from an overhead horizontal piece of wood, then get them both swinging in concession against each other; then he would RUN back to 50 yards. + snap shoot the 2 when they were both aligned. Nest trick, I would have loved to seen it. A good attribute to stamina as well.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Must have been wonderful days. In that video Selby is shown with a double, guess before he got his 416!

He has his 416 here. When he gets the guns out the truck you can see it.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Interesting footage of Bob.

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. It brought back memories of films I watched as a young boy and was the spark to my interest in hunting in Africa. I have been fortunate enough to have seven safaris there and enjoyed each one. I consider myself blessed for those experiences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I firmly believe that Ruark's books on African hunting was responsible for the craze in that genre in the movies in the late 50s + 60s. In those days, every other movie was a "Bwana". I can remember watching a lot of them in the drive-ins in the early 60s.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They had movies at drive inns??

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure, that was the other treat! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew about the concession stand too--3 treats???

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great show, an Africa that unfortunately doesn't exist anymore.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Filmed the year I was born in Salem, Oregon, USA, North America, planet Earth ...
I'm so sorry that Ruark only made it to 50. "Use Enough Gun" was my first introduction to him -- sent by the Outdoor Life Book Club and I didn't send it back in time -- junior high days. rotflmo

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1st was "The Old Man + the Boy", but that one opened up the floodgates for me on his writing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rural and Selby’s adventures are and were astonishing to those of us who grew up much too late to enjoy at their time. I posed a question regarding information about Harry Selby’s adventures.I believe someone has a manuscript, unpublished at this time. It certainly would make for good reading. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruark and Selby were true legends, great to watch this film again!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding movies at the drive inn I watched a few Tarzan movies. I was enamored by these offerings only to understand, as an adult, the Hollywood BS. BTW, some of my dates did NOT appreciate me actually watching the movie. Guess my mind was on Africa. It remains so. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTGunner:
Regarding movies at the drive inn I watched a few Tarzan movies. I was enamored by these offerings only to understand, as an adult, the Hollywood BS. MTG

Tarzan wasn’t real you know. The Hollywood BS came from the fictional BS in a novel Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed watching this. They use to have a room in the UNC Library at Chapel Hill devoted to Robert Ruark. I do not know if it is still there. UNC Art Museum is removing Jon Audabon paintings because they say he was a racist. I am guessing they did the same to Ruark.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
They did open up his home place to a bed and breakfast.

https://robertruarkinn.com/

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote