New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lindsay's "A Rifle Anyone Can Build"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried out this project, a single-shot 22 RF?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks recreating older rifles. DeHaas has some great plans.

If you want a simple rimfire, look to Browning's patent #511,677. .22 rimfire with 2 moving parts and one of those is the spring.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
Lots of folks recreating older rifles. DeHaas has some great plans.

If you want a simple rimfire, look to Browning's patent #511,677. .22 rimfire with 2 moving parts and one of those is the spring.

Interesting. The breechblock aspect leaves me puzzled, but I haven't studied the patent long enough to understand all of it (I can be kind of simple sometimes).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically, the trigger, hammer and breach block are all one in the same. Pulling the trigger releases the breach block with the fixed firing pin to pop up at an angle. At the top I f the travel the firing pin indents the rim and fires the cartridge.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
Basically, the trigger, hammer and breach block are all one in the same. Pulling the trigger releases the breach block with the fixed firing pin to pop up at an angle. At the top I f the travel the firing pin indents the rim and fires the cartridge.

The hammer rides at a steep enough angle to be a sticking taper, then, and isn't driven back down the spring channel when the cartridge is fired?

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct. The moment of force generated by the fired cartridge is directly in line with the bore. It pushes against the mechanism as if it were a lever but there is no way for it to rotate.

You got it!

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I have a picture in my head and have to see if I'm right.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a sketch or a good picture of the hammer.
I can not wrap my brain around the location of the pivot point vs the force vector from the cartridge.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post