New
Find
Notify
Tools

An idea for a vertical rack...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been fairly well cooped up in the house with a couple broken ribs for the past couple of weeks and I've been going crazy with boredom.

I was looking at the "pile" of guns in the corner of my Man Cave and decided that it would probably be better to have them racked in something. So out to the garage and taking inventory of the wood I keep there, decided that I'd have enough to build a fairly decent vertical gun rack.

So I came up with a basic idea that I thought would work and cut it out. I then screwed it together and brought it into the house. My wife didn't like the idea of it being "floor-standing" and asked me if I could hang it. So a little more thought and I figured out that if I cut the top back piece in half at a 45 degree angle and screwed one half to the wall, the rack would hang nice and tight to the wall.

Here's the final product of my broken rib induced boredom....

It only holds a dozen guns and not my entire "collection," but it reduces the mess in the office. What do you think?

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks fine to me. I built a couple very much like it for our hunting cabin, but added a lower shelf about 8" below the shelf that supports the butt stocks, and below that a row of pegs. The shelf holds ammo and the pegs are good for binos, etc.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought of that and wanted to put a shelf underneath but didn't have a piece of wood long enough. Remember, this was built entirely of "scrap" that I had in my garage...

But, I figure I can add a shelf at a later date too...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking 'scrap project'.
Makes me wonder what you would have accomplished without the broken ribs.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, I doubt if it would have looked any better. While I enjoying building things, I'm more of a wood-butcher than a woodworker!

But let me tell you, things I build do NOT fall apart....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What will keep burglars from carting them off when you are no longer confined to the house and take the wife out to dinner?

I would love to display mine like that, but hate to consider some low life scum trading them for "Dime" baglets of meth.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, the fact that I now have a cable running through the trigger guards of all the guns and securely locked to an eyebolt will keep the guns where they're supposed to stay...

And based on the fact that the house is rarely empty, I'm hoping that I won't get robbed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking rack. Well done.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. It's not fancy, but I thought because I made it from scrap I had lying around in the garage, someone else might be able to do something similar.

It's not great, but it holds a dozen guns and keeps them from being piled in the corner. It was easy to make using nothing more than a cordless screwdriver, a jigsaw and a table saw. And I probably could have used a Skilsaw, but was just given a table saw and had to give that a try...

posted Hide Post
That looks very nice, both in design and execution!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark! It's working for me so far. I need to make another I think cuz I still don't have all my guns out of the corner....

But I need to buy some reloading dies, powder, primers and assorted other things for shooting.