New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Made Case Tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Up until now, I have been using steel wool to clean my cases. I reload .44 Rem Mag and .45 Colt in carbide dies, so less than super clean brass is not really an issue. But I have been wanting to make my own case tumbler for extra-shiny cases I hear they make.

The only problem is that I don't know well enough how they work to design one. Does anyone have either a schematic or a detailed explanation of their workings? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More information than maybe you want;

http://www.brianenos.com/forum...php?showtopic=130815

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine job !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of mine. seems pretty somple to me. You will need a abour a sewing machine moter and an assortment of pullys to get the speed right.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like it needs some TLC

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it needed to have some sections of heater hose to replace the soft rubber that was falling apart. What ya expect from some thing I owned for 38 years and not knowing how long the machine shop owned it before I bought it.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shamlessly stolen from a swedish forum;
The SuperRedneck3000 Brass Tumbler

Guess no further building instructions is required.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been wanting to change to using stainless pin media and am wondering if the hex shaped drum is really important or does it just speed up the process?
I am thinking that if I make one out of a bucket, I could maybe glue some fins on the inner walls.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would need something inside a round container to prevent the brass from mealy just sliding along the bottom of the radial other wise it would work great

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not my own DIY project, the concept is simple enough.
I found this one on craigslist with two barrels for $75!.
My stainless media came today and I am in business!
Looks like it runs about 60rpm.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...I'm sold on this method!
These 50-110 cases were totally stained and my vibratory tumbler with the red rouge media wouldn't touch them. Just gave them a brownish burnished look.
This is after two hours in the tumbler.
NEVER going back!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, I am just thrilled with this tumbler but I have a concept going back to the OP.
I am gathering parts to make a DIY rotary tumbler using 5gal buckets. I think I can keep it well under $100 in parts (minus the stainless media) but I imagine some cutting and welding will be in order so unless you have access to the tools may be a bit more.
We will see how it goes...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
More information than maybe you want;

http://www.brianenos.com/forum...php?showtopic=130815

That is pretty much the concept I am going to work on.
One thought is that the protruding bolts in the drum could damage the brass. Dont know why he didnt just use PVC cement to glue the fins into the drum.

Along that line, what adhesive would work to glue fins into the interior of a plastic 5gal bucket?
I am thinking that I can make fins from a smaller diameter bucket cut in quarters which have a thinner wall thickness and will have a little flex and be more gentle on the brass.
The buckets I bought are the silver ones from Lowes and have a "5" in the recycle triangle with a "PP" below it. Does this mean it is polypropelene?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of late with a reply but you could counter-sink your bolt holes in the fins and use a flush fitting screw-bolt if you were worried about a hex bolt sticking up.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I used an electric ice cream freezer, propped it up on about a 45 degree angle. Not the best but very little $$!

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post