New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Target Box
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since it's illegal to discharge a firearm in the city limits I'm seriously thinking of getting a pellet rifle - likely a Ruger AirHawk .177 cal. - to plink in my backyard with. I figure on building a target box outta plywood. Basic box with open front, rear wall sloping 45 degrees or so to deflect the pellets downward.

Here's the question. How thick plywood should I make the back (deflecting) wall out of? The rifle has a nominal muzzle velocity of 1000 ft/sec so I want to make sure I make the back wall out of thick enough material to MAKE SURE nothing escapes.

Any ideas? Tried googling "target box" and "shooting box" to look for plans but no luck. I just don'k know how penetrating a .177 caliber pellet is. I'll be shooting from approx. 20 yards. There will be a wood privacy fence behind it.

Thanx in advance.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not make the deflecting wall out of plywood. I'd use steel plate. 3/16" or 1/4" would probably be plenty thick for an air rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some ballistic foam.

Posts: 6388 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an old phone book at least 1.5" thick attached to the inside of a box and put the target on the front of the box.. When you are nearly done shooting through it, replace it with a new one.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You want to get several pounds of duct seal from Home Depot. It comes in one-pound bars and is made by an outfit called Gardner Bender. Don't let them try to sell you the stuff in the tub. It has to be the GB in the one-pound blocks. This stuff does not dry out over time, so you can dig out the lumps of pellets that form in it and then reshape and reinstall. This is what comes in all the professional pellet traps, and the neat thing is it is silent when the pellets strike.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A moving blanket folded a few times works well, also.

Quiet, cheap, adaptable, you get the picture.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure you don't have neighbor problems. Some state laws, and city ordinances do not allow "spring-powered" guns either. In Florida the state law is written to include pellet guns too.

Frowner

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 05 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 10mm steel plate bolted to a wall. Pellets ALWAYS disintegrate on impact with my springer upto 25m.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea about the bar clay... no noise , no ricochets, weather proof, and very easy to make yourself!

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made one out of 2x4's with a plywood back and filled it with duck seal compound. It's cheap, quiet and the duck seal compound lasts a long time.

The metal backstops are very noisy and they are messy, the lead doesn't stay in the trap.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good discussion, all. MidwayUSA has a trap for under $20, under $30 shipped. I checked w local "Only Ones" PD and confirmed OK to discharge either CO2 or spring so long as it's not a firearm.

I do like the duct seal idea. Gotta look into it. No one would even know I was even doing it. Spring guns are very quiet.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metal stops make additional sounds, a lead sheet 1/2" backstop stops that problem, you just need a good fence post to hold it

Posts: 138 | Registered: 15 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the commercially available metal .22LR bullet traps indoors! High velocity pellets shatter and send out a cloud of LEAD! You can actually see the 'smoke' from the shattered pellets as they strike.

If you plan to shoot ANYTHING inside....... have adequate ventilation!

Posts: 2864 | Registered: 06 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of layers of mine conveyor belt will work, and help dampen the impact sound. But finding some in your area may prove problematic.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez guys, I don't know what velocities you are shooting but for my Walther target airpistol I use a cereal box filled with folded newspapers. I shot at 21 feet with no penetration through the box at all.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post