New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truism
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
'The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind'.

Not sure the author, but I thought it was spot on.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup tu2

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first Lab was a gift that my nephew gave me
right after I had to put my dad in the nursing
home.
Life hasn't been the same since.
It's been much for the better.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed....not having a gordon setter who needs getting out in the woods/mountains I would have become both fat and lazy..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although Midnight is not a hunting dog, she's been wonderful to have.
I met a gal that was staying and taking care of a fellow with bad health problems. Art Garcia was 56, 6 years ago. He'd been in the Army 9 years when diabetes wrecked his health and forced him out. He'd had her 7 years. She's now about 12-13, a coal black Schipperke. A Belgian ship captains watch dog, special bred.

Rhonda introduced me to Art and Midnight. She took to me as if she'd known me forever. Everytime I'd drive up she'd come running to the car to greet me. To be honest, she adopted me herself.

With Art's health problems I offered my help anyway I could. He started calling to have me take him to the hospital just about every two weeks the full four months I knew him. He had a shunt into his heart that kept infecting and had to be pulled out and reinserted. The last time I took him in, went over to visit the next day.

He told me: "George, I think I'm going to die this time, I've only got one worry" "what's that Art?" "who is going to take care of my dog?" "she seems to love you and runs out everytime you drive up, when I'm in here, you take her home and treat her well, Rhonda can't take care of herself let alone a dog" "Art, I'd love to have Midnight your worries are over pard" "thank you, I'll be happy with that".

He died the next morning. Rhonda moved in with me for the next 5 1/2 years until 3/3/15 when she died, leaving me and Midnight to miss them both. She was 51. I told Midnight: "Rhonda died, she's gone now" You should have seen her sad eye's just collapse, I know she understood what I said. A year later I mention her name she still perks up and runs to the door looking.

I can't even go to the bathroom without Midnight laying in the doorway. It breaks her heart when I have to leave her locked in the house for dr's appts. and such when she just can't go stay in the car that long. SO when I go anywhere, she rides along with me, and I get out to do business. I tell her: "Watch the car, I'll be right back". Windows down all the way, she's never once gotten out and anyone walks by she's looking for me.

When I get back after leaving her home, she can't control herself with the dancing and jumping around telling me how happy she is that I'm back. She lays on the bed when I'm napping or all night. I can't leave the room without her following me, I go out in the shop to work she's right there, when I'm welding I tell her "go over there" and she goes and lays down out of the way of the arc flash. I know she's plumb scared I won't come back. It's just me and her now so far. I'm hoping to meet someone soon but, until then it's me worrying who will take care of her since I've had bad health problems the last four years and now have a serious infection under my ribs from belly surgery 7 weeks ago. ER wanted to keep me in the hosp. three days ago, I had Midnight locked in the house three hours, no way I could be admitted for the next two days or so.
Isn't life the shits sometimes??

Thank you for sharing my/our story,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote