Find
Notify
Tools

Karelian Bear Dog
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted
We live in the bush with zero ability to get to a vet or a doctor for another month or so,, that being said Our 7 year old Tar has been bleeding from his pecker for a few days now, this seems to happen when he's been sleeping and then get's up,not huge amounts maybe 1/2 cup or so a few times a day. We will get him to a vet when we can but has anyone have an idea what is causing this, or seen it before. We do have a series of antibiotic's we are giving him? This dog is worth his weight in gold,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked my wife about this, she is a certified Vet Tech, not a vet, and she said get him in ASAP since any type of blood loss especially if it is occurring regularly could be life threatening. She said it could be a prostrate, urinary tract inflection or a tumor, either case early intervention is the best choice, good luck

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Aw, geez, rat, I hope your guy is going to be OK.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Is he chewing on it?

We lost a Springer to that, he got some kind of cockle bur in it, and we didn't know it. It festered and about 3 painful months later we ended up putting him down. He lost about half his weight, and his entire belly was covered in sores.

The vet split his pee pee open afterward and found some small pieces of bur, that had festered. The vet told me that, when old dogs get sick, and they can lick themselves, it isn't uncommon for them to lick themselves to death.

This was about 30 years ago.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull the sheath back on his pecker and look for any debris. It's not uncommon for males too get something lodged even a grass seed will cause discomfort and irritation.flush it real good if you don't see anything g after pulling the sheath back I would try and get him too a vet asap.good luck

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
Pull the sheath back on his pecker and look for any debris. It's not uncommon for males too get something lodged even a grass seed will cause discomfort and irritation.flush it real good if you don't see anything g after pulling the sheath back I would try and get him too a vet asap.good luck

Good advice

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any update on the dog?

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Update,, My wife talked to a vet and the local air taxi airdropped them and within a day or 2 Tar was back to normal!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear he's OK
What caused the problem, airdropped how did he handle that

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great to hear!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
great news Smiler))

ur 3 greatest hunts r, ur 1st,ur last,and ur next!!!!

Posts: 254 | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote