THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Dogs are an expensive hobby

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogs are an expensive hobby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Given my vet bills and my attachment to my dog.

I rank having a dog right up there with African hunting as a expensive hobby.

When I sent my dog vet bills to my african hunting whatsapp group, Gary Duckworth (who is a
crazy dog lover himself) replied 22 ammo is cheap.

I told him my Mom would disown me for hunting Africa and not spending money on my dog.

Dog definitely comes before africa but he is damn expensive.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Nowadays, just about all pets are expensive to maintain.

Well, maybe not goldfish.

Some friends of ours just burned through $5000 trying to save a sick cat they had rescued off the street a few years ago. Cat died just after the last treatment.

About 10 years ago I spent a little over $1200 on surgery for a dog. He came home in a box.

Just last year, right before Christmas, my wife and I paid over $500 trying to keep a rescue dog we loved alive. He died anyway.

We get very attached to dogs and cats and it's difficult making their health decisions based on economics.

To their credit, I have known vets who candidly recommend euthanasia over treatment, due to potentially catastrophic costs.

However, most of the time, putting an animal down is done to alleviate suffering, not to save money.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have special respect for a vet who is willing to mention the euthanisia option, especially when he or she knows the pet owner is not well off. Some of the chain pet hospitals will very happily drain your bank accounts with no thought to the effects on the humans. The VCA hospital in Salem, Oregon, was doing this to us when I requested my compromised little guy be put down.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You think vet expenses are rough.
I have three labs playing the retriever games.
Wouldn’t have it any other way though.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell me about it! I figure my dog caught pork runs about $900 a pound. Big Grin

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I have special respect for a vet who is willing to mention the euthanisia option, especially when he or she knows the pet owner is not well off. Some of the chain pet hospitals will very happily drain your bank accounts with no thought to the effects on the humans. The VCA hospital in Salem, Oregon, was doing this to us when I requested my compromised little guy be put down.

You are so right!!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so if everything must have a dollar sign on it what value do we put on wives kids or ourselves

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit more than we do in our dogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
so if everything must have a dollar sign on it what value do we put on wives kids or ourselves

For me they are the same

My dog has cost 22K plus in vet costs over 5 years. Still less than an all in zim buff hunt.

He goes to University of Florida small animal hospital for the best healthcare. Driving him for medical care is a whole day event. I normally plan it so I can work when I drop him off. If I did not have that flexibility I don't know how it could be done.

But is makes little practical sense if you look at a dog as chattle. Even as a family member you have a animal that has a short life span. We have take a wolf with short brutal life (6-7 years) and turned it into a human companion and applied human attributes to it.

The biggest issue is a dog cannot communicate the degree of pain it is in. My dog has ear infections - its just tough to figure out the degree to which it is an issue. He has dysplasia but he is far more active than most other dog without dysplasia. Always tough balancing the pain he get in running around versus the enjoyment he gets running around.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those here who care for their pups, rather than euthanize them, you may want to consider canine health insurance. I use Pet Plan for my versatile hunters/companions and it has saved me thousands over the years.

Beretta 682E, I have CSU Vet Medical Center available in Fort Collins, CO and do much the same as you.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I don’t want to think about what I’ve spent on vet bills over the years, but the enjoyment my dogs have given me has been well worth it.

Mike, I pray for the best.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think dogs are expensive ? Get a horse. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am without a dog for the first time in decades and it is really tough. I just don't think I can afford the vet bills that inevitably come along with a best friend.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keeping a dog is no different than keeping a woman.

Both are cheap dates but expensive pets. Whistling

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hey, we deserve it!

quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Hey, we deserve it!

quote:

Yes you do!

By the way, if that's you in that picture - awesome leopard! tu2

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a Vet friend of mine puts it " you want a dog or this dog"? This dog will cost you! That's why I am "a dog" kind of guy! There is always another dog. I have lost a couple of good ones to some weird stuff.

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, me and the leopard from '05.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Hey, we deserve it!

quote:

Yes you do!

By the way, if that's you in that picture - awesome leopard! tu2

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Think dogs are expensive ? Get a horse. Big Grin

Grizz

Wife has a horse, I have a job....writing checks for said horse. If I ever got divorced no way in hell would I ever marry another woman that own's or want's a horse.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, good to see you posting.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vet cost's are high but I don't go unless I'm sure it's really needed I never go to the vet to pass the time of day!. I don't begrudge them a decent living but I wish they'ed share it with other customer's. A dog being an expensive hobby? A dog is not a hobby for me. It's family and I'd damn sure get another dog before i'd get another wife! Now, a wife. That's is expensive!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ann, good to see you posting.

Hi Bill. Smiler

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Don, thanks for being such a great friend of dogs.
Ann, tell us about your dear friend Bita Farahbod.

hilbily

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I cannot live without my dogs ,i related my life intinmally with the dogs i shared it ,rigth now in a cold winter nigth in Argentina Pampas i have several dogs in front of my fireplace ,my dogo Rumel goes with me everywhere .....so it isnt expensive for me ....they are part of my life.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an outfitter I always owned several hunting dogs.
They have been well trained, feed, clean and 2 times per year a general vet visit along with vaccinations.
Nothing expensive and the dogs were very healthy and happy.
The problems starts when my daughter went to the dogs shelter(while I was away hunting) and decide to take one of my dogs to our house. My best pointing dog, a female of GSP. Now this dog cost me twice than the other 4 dogs together. I can not use it for hunting anymore as the kids don't let me, have to go every month to the best(expensive) veterinary in the town, cut her nails, wash her ears, use a special (extra expensive) food, etc, etc.
But that being said have been 2 years since the dog is in our house and I can imagine our life without our beloved dog:-)

Posts: 41 | Location: Romania | Registered: 08 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt hogs with my dogs and they wear the best protective gear I can find. Occasionally they are injured in spite of this. I take care of most wounds myself, including penicillin shots, antibiotics, and stitching. Rarely they require a trip to the vet for serious injuries. This can be expensive. In my ten years of hunting I've only lost one dog to a boar. Too bad he was the best at his trade I ever saw and the prospects of finding one as capable are bleak. RIP Beau you are sorely missed!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
RH, you've captured the essence for me -- "beloved dog." It's no hobby; it is life itself.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that dogs are not an expensive hobby to me. If I am thinking something is expensive, I am saying I feel guilty to some degree as to how much I have spent.

I have just never felt guilty about how much I have spent on my boys over the years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I sent my dog vet bills to my african hunting whatsapp group, Gary Duckworth (who is a crazy dog lover himself) replied 22 ammo is cheap.

My feelings exactly.

There are lots of dogs out there.

A very good hound running friend of mine said never spend more money on a dog then you can afford to shoot.

Story about my vet he was trying hard et me to buy heart worm prevention.

I told him no, he said it very expensive to treat I said naw about a penny and half.

He Looked at me with a puzzled look then the light came on.

He said do mean you could look at this dogs in eyes and shoot it

I said no you turn the head away from you and shoot them in the brain stem they die faster.

I said for 75.00 dollars you give her a needle and put her down and laugh all the way to the bank.

last time I went to that vet.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
When I sent my dog vet bills to my african hunting whatsapp group, Gary Duckworth (who is a crazy dog lover himself) replied 22 ammo is cheap.

My feelings exactly.

There are lots of dogs out there.

A very good hound running friend of mine said never spend more money on a dog then you can afford to shoot.

Story about my vet he was trying hard et me to buy heart worm prevention.

I told him no, he said it very expensive to treat I said naw about a penny and half.

He Looked at me with a puzzled look then the light came on.

He said do mean you could look at this dogs in eyes and shoot it

I said no you turn the head away from you and shoot them in the brain stem they die faster.

I said for 75.00 dollars you give her a needle and put her down and laugh all the way to the bank.

last time I went to that vet.

I have no problem spending money on my dog but the reason is I have discretionary $$$. They go to the dog before hunting or fishing.

I don’t go to commercial vets - only the best university vet schools. Even if I have to drive 200 miles and wade a day.

I think the main issue is people without discretionary dollars that get naturally attached to their pets. That can get expensive fast.

In the us one should know that before getting a dog.

Mike